Poundworld to open store in Ipswich town centre opposite McDonald’s
- Credit: Archant
Discount retailer Poundworld has announced it will open a store in Ipswich town centre next week.
The shop will be based in Tavern Street opposite McDonald’s – in the former River Island unit. It will open at 10am on Thursday next week.
The 5,000 square foot store will be the first Poundworld to open in Suffolk and the fourth discount retailer in the high street.
It is also set to create an estimated 30 jobs.
Rob Holness, area manager at Poundworld, said: “We are really thrilled to be opening our first store in Ipswich creating 30 new jobs for the local area.
“There may be other pound shops in the town but we are the best. We pride ourselves on being the smartest pound store with thousands of top brands to choose from, and we hope that Ipswich shoppers will visit us when we open our doors.”
Poundworld is a family-run company which started on a Wakefield market stall in 1974. The owners have plans to more than double the number of stores nationwide over the next five years.
- 1 Man 'punched and slashed' in serious assault in car park at Ipswich B&M
- 2 Ellie uses 4 tonne truck to make impressive entrance at school prom
- 3 Burger van owner's anger after thieves steal food from trailer in Ipswich
- 4 Ipswich firm admits mis-selling foam loft insulation to Suffolk customers
- 5 Ipswich man, 27, arrested after stabbing in Bury St Edmunds car park
- 6 Tent, kitchen units and bedding dumped in 'unsightly' fly-tipping
- 7 'Fantastic opportunity' as Ipswich's Thomas Wolsey pub listed for sale
- 8 Travellers remain at Ipswich park after arrival last week
- 9 'We're going to push back!' - Ashton's message to Norwich City
- 10 Search ongoing for 29-year-old Suffolk man missing for three weeks
An Ipswich Borough Council spokesman said: “We welcome any retailer in to the town centre and its good news for local jobs.”