Poundworld to open store in Ipswich town centre opposite McDonald’s
- Credit: Archant
Discount retailer Poundworld has announced it will open a store in Ipswich town centre next week.
The shop will be based in Tavern Street opposite McDonald’s – in the former River Island unit. It will open at 10am on Thursday next week.
The 5,000 square foot store will be the first Poundworld to open in Suffolk and the fourth discount retailer in the high street.
It is also set to create an estimated 30 jobs.
Rob Holness, area manager at Poundworld, said: “We are really thrilled to be opening our first store in Ipswich creating 30 new jobs for the local area.
“There may be other pound shops in the town but we are the best. We pride ourselves on being the smartest pound store with thousands of top brands to choose from, and we hope that Ipswich shoppers will visit us when we open our doors.”
Poundworld is a family-run company which started on a Wakefield market stall in 1974. The owners have plans to more than double the number of stores nationwide over the next five years.
- 1 Ipswich residents' frustration over parking chaos
- 2 Long delays on A14 near Ipswich after police called to hole in the road
- 3 Firefighters called to Ipswich house fire
- 4 'Severe' delays on A12 outside Ipswich after crash closes road
- 5 Man detained after early morning incident in Ipswich road
- 6 Baby and toddler retailer Mamas & Papas set for Ipswich return
- 7 Man who stole over £1,000 in power tools jailed for 876 days
- 8 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
- 9 Tree works to begin after residents left 'fed up' for two years
- 10 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
An Ipswich Borough Council spokesman said: “We welcome any retailer in to the town centre and its good news for local jobs.”