Prince jokes of "dustbin" building
ONE of the region's newest and most distinctive university buildings has been described by the Prince of Wales as “looking like a dustbin”.Prince Charles' comments were made about the £6million Ivor Crewe Lecture Hall at the University of Essex's Colchester campus.
ONE of the region's newest and most distinctive university buildings has been described by the Prince of Wales as “looking like a dustbin”.
Prince Charles' comments were made about the £6million Ivor Crewe Lecture Hall at the University of Essex's Colchester campus.
The remark came as he joked with troops in the stainless-steel hall ahead of their deployment to Afghanistan.
His comment in the lecture hall, which is set in the side of a hill, is said to have triggered laughter and applause from many of the troops, from the 2nd Battalion of the Parachute regiment.
The prince said: “I understand around 1,700 of you are crammed in what looks like a dustbin from the outside."
The Ivor Crewe Lecture Hall was opened in October 2006.
- 1 A14 reopens near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 2 'He was a really good man' - Neighbour's shock following Ipswich house fire
- 3 Former nightclub with flat conversion plan heads to auction
- 4 Ipswich drug dealer sentenced to two years in jail
- 5 Police cordon off Felixstowe town centre car park after incident
- 6 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as Covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 7 'I don't want families going through this' - Mum backs bridge campaign
- 8 Estate agent switches household’s energy supply without telling tenant
- 9 Mental health referral review after death of 'wonderful' 16-year-old boy
- 10 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
A University of Essex spokeswoman said: "The Ivor Crewe Lecture Hall is regarded as a flagship building.
"It's probably the most striking modern building on the campus.
"But I don't think we want to make too much of what the Prince said. It was just a throwaway remark."