Probe into unrest at prison
AN investigation was due to start today after a night of unrest among inmates at a Suffolk jail.
AN investigation was due to start today after a day of unrest among inmates at a Suffolk jail that lasted for nearly 12 hours.
The drama unfolded at around 10.40am yesterday at Warren Hill in Hollesley and at one stage two inmates were on the roof of the prison.
Police were called and arrested two men who were taken into custody.
A force spokesman said they would be quizzed today while officers were also due to return to the prison to carry out further investigations.
You may also want to watch:
A Prison Service spokesperson said: “We can confirm an incident of concerted indiscipline took place at HMYOI Warren Hill on 26 January.
“The incident, involving four inmates, began at 10.40am and was resolved by 10.30pm. No staff were injured. One of the inmates sustained a minor cut to his leg.
- 1 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
- 2 Curve Bar nights out and special events - are you in these photos?
- 3 Yellow weather warning issued for thunderstorms and flooding for next week
- 4 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
- 5 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 8 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 9 Inside Ipswich's Blitz-themed tearoom
- 10 It's coming home! Fans across Suffolk celebrate England's win
“The Prison Service will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of this incident. The police will also conduct an investigation.”
Some damage is believed to have been caused to the prison, which has the capacity to accommodate 222 inmates.
Warren Hill opened in 1982 to accommodate Category C young offenders in a closed environment.
It was part of Hollesley Bay Colony, which also included an open youth custody and detention centre.
In 1992 the open unit was adapted to accommodate adult category D offenders.
In April 2002 - though retaining some shared services - HMP and YOI Hollesley Bay became two separate prisons.
The open complex retained the name Hollesley Bay and the juvenile parts (Warren Hill and the Carlford Unit) became HMP & YOI Warren Hill.