Protestors fight to save post office
A GROUP of campaigners have held a protest to save their Stowmarket post offices from closure.MP David Ruffley joined residents outside Crown Street Post Office to protest against proposals to close that branch and one in Combs Ford, which they feel will damage their town.
A GROUP of campaigners have held a protest to save their Stowmarket post offices from closure.
MP David Ruffley joined residents outside Crown Street Post Office to protest against proposals to close that branch and one in Combs Ford, which they feel will damage their town.
Post Office managers announced last week that there are plans to shut 16 branches in west Suffolk - bringing the total number facing the axe in the county to 50 in a bid to counter mounting financial losses and falling customer numbers.
Rosie Carter, a Stowmarket resident and one of the protestors on Friday , said: “Just 24 hours into our campaign we are overwhelmed with messages of support for our lovely branch and Heather Pugh, our loyal, dedicated and hard working postmistress.”
She said Crown Street was a thriving and vital business and was named runner up in the eastern region's Best Branch Award in 2004.
Laura Tarling , Post Office Ltd network development manager for Norfolk and west Suffolk, said: “Taking the decision to close any branch is always very difficult and we know it will cause concern to many of our customers.
- 1 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 2 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 3 Notcutts submit detailed plans for 14 homes on the edge of Ipswich
- 4 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
- 5 See inside £1.65m Ipswich home with swimming pool and games room
- 6 See inside stunning £1.15m home a stone's throw away from Christchurch Park
- 7 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Ipswich girl with cyst on brain struggling to get diagnosis
- 10 7 things around Ipswich which are among the best in the country
“Post Office Ltd's aim is to continue to provide essential services and support retail businesses and the local economy in as many communities as possible.”
What do you think about the proposals? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail email@example.com.