Public opinion turns against fire crews
CALL off the fire strike! That's the verdict of Evening Star readers today as the firefighters' first 48-hour strike comes to an end.More than 300 people took part in our survey on the web and in face-to-face interviews in Ipswich and Felixstowe.
By Paul Geater
CALL off the fire strike! That's the verdict of Evening Star readers today as the firefighters' first 48-hour strike comes to an end.
More than 300 people took part in our survey on the web and in face-to-face interviews in Ipswich and Felixstowe.
The result was exactly two-to-one opposed to the firefighters' strikes.
You may also want to watch:
Conciliation talks between the government and fire unions are now clearly a top priority in many peoples' minds as eight-day strikes loom.
Web polls have to be read cautiously but, linked with the face-to-face interviews, the result is almost identical to surveys carried out by other media in Suffolk and in East Anglia as a whole.
- 1 Felixstowe man caught with thousands of indecent images of children
- 2 Ipswich tech firm warns of spyware scare on Apple devices
- 3 Waterfront restaurant with 145 wines crowned best in Ipswich
- 4 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 5 CCTV images issued following theft from car in Ipswich
- 6 First look at full schedule for Sound City Ipswich music festival
- 7 Former charity worker denies fraud and will face trial
- 8 Lloyds Bank branch closes temporarily as staff self-isolate due to Covid
- 9 Police make third arrest following Nacton stabbing
- 10 Police attend Ipswich Waterfront property as part of murder probe
The Star's web poll also suggests that only one in four people believe firefighters should be given a 40 per cent pay increase.
FULL STORY IN TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR