Public opinion turns against fire crews
CALL off the fire strike! That's the verdict of Evening Star readers today as the firefighters' first 48-hour strike comes to an end.More than 300 people took part in our survey on the web and in face-to-face interviews in Ipswich and Felixstowe.
By Paul Geater
CALL off the fire strike! That's the verdict of Evening Star readers today as the firefighters' first 48-hour strike comes to an end.
More than 300 people took part in our survey on the web and in face-to-face interviews in Ipswich and Felixstowe.
The result was exactly two-to-one opposed to the firefighters' strikes.
Conciliation talks between the government and fire unions are now clearly a top priority in many peoples' minds as eight-day strikes loom.
Web polls have to be read cautiously but, linked with the face-to-face interviews, the result is almost identical to surveys carried out by other media in Suffolk and in East Anglia as a whole.
- 1 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 2 Goat dies and ponies injured after dog attack
- 3 Man was allegedly battered to death in Ipswich guest house, jury hears
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Two men steal pedal bike from outside Ipswich primary school
- 6 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 7 Final homes in 75-house development to go on sale
- 8 Ipswich business worry as customers rein back spending
- 9 Ipswich family celebrate their funny and likeable son with football match
- 10 Delays near Orwell Bridge after wheels of trailer carrying boat fall off
The Star's web poll also suggests that only one in four people believe firefighters should be given a 40 per cent pay increase.
FULL STORY IN TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR