Public opinion turns against fire crews
CALL off the fire strike! That's the verdict of Evening Star readers today as the firefighters' first 48-hour strike comes to an end.More than 300 people took part in our survey on the web and in face-to-face interviews in Ipswich and Felixstowe.
By Paul Geater
CALL off the fire strike! That's the verdict of Evening Star readers today as the firefighters' first 48-hour strike comes to an end.
More than 300 people took part in our survey on the web and in face-to-face interviews in Ipswich and Felixstowe.
The result was exactly two-to-one opposed to the firefighters' strikes.
You may also want to watch:
Conciliation talks between the government and fire unions are now clearly a top priority in many peoples' minds as eight-day strikes loom.
Web polls have to be read cautiously but, linked with the face-to-face interviews, the result is almost identical to surveys carried out by other media in Suffolk and in East Anglia as a whole.
- 1 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 2 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 3 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 4 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 5 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 6 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 7 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 8 Lounge bar with bespoke cocktails and tapas to open at Ipswich waterfront
- 9 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
- 10 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
The Star's web poll also suggests that only one in four people believe firefighters should be given a 40 per cent pay increase.
FULL STORY IN TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR