Pupil scoops top Ipswich media award
A TALENTED Ipswich school pupil made headlines of her own after scooping a prestigious Evening Star award.Northgate High pupil Vicki Bloomfield beat off stiff competition from 70 pupils and classmates to become the Evening Star Media Studies Student of the Year.
By Amanda Cresswell
A TALENTED Ipswich school pupil made headlines of her own after scooping a prestigious Evening Star award.
Northgate High pupil Vicki Bloomfield beat off stiff competition from 70 pupils and classmates to become the Evening Star Media Studies Student of the Year.
Evening Star editor Nigel Pickover presented the delighted 17-year-old with a hand held computer in front of proud parents Joan and Doug, headmaster Neil Watts, teachers and classmates.
Vicki was picked for her commitment, dedication and genuine interest in the subject.
Mr Pickover praised the high-flying student and said: "It marks a successful start to Vicky's career. It shows what you can get for your passion and commitment."
- 1 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 2 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 3 Family's gratitude after Christmas samaritan's £50 act of kindness
- 4 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 5 Police 'concerned' for missing 15-year-old who was last seen a week ago
- 6 Speed limit on Orwell Bridge reduced as Storm Barra hits region
- 7 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 8 Beautiful new bottomless brunches launch at Ipswich bar
- 9 When will my bins be collected this Christmas?
- 10 Former camera shop Jessops cited for three flats in Ipswich
It is the first year The Star has worked in partnership with Northgate High to reward promising media student.
All the media studies students spent an afternoon at Press House in Lower Brook Street to see the news team in action.
Media studies teacher John Alexander, said it was is a good example of local commerce working together with sixth formers.
"It has worked very well and we are looking forward to carry it on well into the future. Today's media students are tomorrow's journalists."
Vicki, who hopes to study art and media at university, said she was "really excited" to win the award.
Media studies started at Northgate four years ago and now has 130 students studying the subject at sixth form level.
A total of 65 percent of the students this year achieved As in their exam in January.