Quiet bonfire night in Suffolk
NOVEMBER 5th will be remembered for all the right reasons this year – as firework events across the county went with a bang.New laws demanding fireworks were not to be set off after midnight seemed to have had the desired effect.
NOVEMBER 5th will be remembered for all the right reasons this year – as firework events across the county went with a bang.
New laws demanding fireworks were not to be set off after midnight seemed to have had the desired effect.
The county's emergency services said it was a quiet night and no major incidents were reported.
Now the public are being urged to carry the peace and quiet into this evening, when many more displays are expected to light up Suffolk's skies.
Kevin Burton, divisional officer for the Suffolk Fire Service, said: "We had no major incidents. In fact, it was surprisingly quiet considering it was Bonfire Night.
"There were a few fires we attended that might have been caused by stray fireworks, but then again, they might not.
- 1 Man detained after early morning incident in Ipswich road
- 2 Firefighters called to Ipswich house fire
- 3 Baby and toddler retailer Mamas & Papas set for Ipswich return
- 4 Woman injured after leg bitten by dog in Ipswich
- 5 Man who stole over £1,000 in power tools jailed for 876 days
- 6 7 roadworks for drivers in Suffolk to be aware of this week
- 7 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
- 8 Ipswich residents' frustration over parking chaos
- 9 Some East of England Co-op stores unable to take cash
- 10 'Severe' delays on A12 outside Ipswich after crash closes road
"In Ipswich we went to a pile of rubbish set on fire in Peppercorn Way but that's about it.
"There are so many more organised events to go to now and I think the new on-the-spot fines might have made a difference.
"Hopefully it will be another safe night tonight and want to thank the public for staying safety conscious."
The Suffolk Police Force's operation's room was today unaware of any of the new on-the-spot fines being issued.
Police now have the power to fine youngsters found in the possession of adult fireworks in public.
It is also an offence to let off fireworks after 11pm at night – but this deadline is extended to midnight on Bonfire Night, Diwali, the Chinese New Year and New Year's Eve.
Alex Webb, operation room supervisor, said: "It was a relatively peaceful evening as far as complaints go so we are very pleased.
"We are urging for more of the same tonight and ask people to take on board the usual advice and be sensible.
"Parents in particular can help by knowing what their children are doing.
"We also want to remind people the hours have reverted back to 11pm and anyone under 18 found carrying fireworks in public will be liable for prosecution."
Despite a large number of fireworks going off – including at organised events at Whitton Sports and Community Centre in Ipswich, the Millennium Green, Sproughton, and Hadleigh United Football Club – injuries were kept to a minimum.
Alex Scott, bed site manager at Ipswich Hospital said: "There's always the potential for emergencies on November 5th but last night was pretty quiet.
"There were a few people brought in with minor injuries but certainly no-one was admitted.
"It was probably quieter for us than the average Friday night is."
Staff at the Thames and Walton Coastguard were the only ones bucking the trend.
The team was called out to several incidents when flares had been set off to celebrate bonfire not, when they should only be used as a distress signal.
Did you have a peaceful Bonfire Night? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org