Rail depot could see new jobs
A MAJOR rail freight depot could be built in the centre of Suffolk creating an estimated 500 jobs, it has emerged.Land next to the A1120 at Creeting St Peter, near Stowmarket, is the location wanted for the depot and warehouse.
A MAJOR rail freight depot could be built in the centre of Suffolk creating an estimated 500 jobs, it has emerged.
Land next to the A1120 at Creeting St Peter, near Stowmarket, is the location wanted for the depot and warehouse.
The site is being looked at due to a shortage of land near the dockside at the expanding Port of Felixstowe.
Mid Suffolk District Council has just received an outline planning application for the development, which also includes other buildings and offices.
You may also want to watch:
GB Railways PLC, whose London-based subsidiary GB Railfreight Ltd takes on major freight haulage contracts from Felixstowe, has identified the need for a depot close to the port.
This would allow containers to be swiftly removed from the congested dockside and roads, creating somewhere for them to be sorted and repackaged for onward transit.
- 1 Two arrested after man assaulted in Ipswich
- 2 'Microshop' selling only American candy opens in Ipswich
- 3 What are the best curry houses in Ipswich?
- 4 Criminals confess to nearly 400 offences thanks to specialist police unit
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 6 Ipswich tech firm warns of spyware scare on Apple devices
- 7 Can you spot yourself in our Copdock Motorcycle Show gallery?
- 8 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 9 School in Ipswich takes 'decisive action' to make rapid improvements
- 10 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
A spokesman for GB Railfreight Ltd said: "Due to land shortages at the port we are seeking a substantial rail connected depot nearby, where containers can be stored, transhipped, broken and repacked.''
The possible development has been welcomed by Stowmarket mayor Keith Scarff, who believes new jobs would be a boost for the area – but he also warned that the environment impact should be carefully considered.
Mr Scarff said: "This would be a good thing, bring employment in to the town. With Stowmarket linked to the rail network it is a logical place for some sort of sidings yard."
But he added: "I would want to know more about the environmental impact, it's in the Gipping river area which is a reasonably sensitive area, but there is a lot of industrial development alongside the river.''
Mr Scarff said any development would also need to look at whether new road junctions would need to be built to help the local network cope.
The exact location of the proposed development is on land next to the A1120 Cedars Link, Creeting St Peter.
A spokeswoman for Mid Suffolk District Council said the application was at a very early stage.