Railway museum traces former passengers
ONE of Suffolk's museum treasures would be chuffed if it finds school pupils and teachers from the 1950s who took their last trip on a long gone rural light railway line.
A SUFFOLK museum would be chuffed to find school pupils and teachers from the 1950s who took their last trip on a long-gone rural railway line.
The Mid Suffolk Light Railway Museum is trying to trace Stradbroke School staff and pupils from July 1952 so they can be invited back for a commemorative weekend marking the closure of the line – fondly known as the Middy.
The museum, based at Wetheringsett, is marking the line's closure with a steam locomotive hauling two Victorian carriages full of visitors on a short ride.
David Chappell, archivist for the museum at Brockford station, said: "As a museum we are very interested in the people who knew the railway, who travelled on it and who worked on it.
"All of these people will be welcome during that weekend.
"However, there is a group of people who we would be particularly keen to see at the museum and these are the people featured on a photograph.
- 1 Ipswich Station closed as man arrested for possessing a firearm
- 2 Beautiful new bottomless brunches launch at Ipswich bar
- 3 'Lovely to be acknowledged' - Ipswich craft shop pleased with bounce back
- 4 Man arrested after Ipswich train station incident released
- 5 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 6 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 7 North Stander: We've become a sacking club - and that makes me uneasy
- 8 Court to decide how much swindler should repay customers
- 9 70 Kesgrave houses switch on for Festive Light Trail
- 10 Yellow weather warning in place as Storm Barra set to hit Suffolk
"The picture was taken on the local station platform prior to taking a trip down the line for the last time to Laxfield.
"We would like to recreate that picture with as many of the same people as were present in 1952 as possible, on the platform of Brockford Station Museum.''
The Mid Suffolk Light Railway line closed in 1952 and is held in great affection by volunteers at the museum, who strive to recreate the long gone-days of the steam line in the heart of Suffolk.
Mr Chappell is appealing for anyone in the photograph to visit the museum on July 27 at 2pm, although the museum will be open from 11am for those who want to look round earlier and reminisce.
The museum is marking the line's closure on July 26, 27 and 28. Those pictured can contact Mr Chappell on 01473 742358 or Margaret Boag on 01473 748335. Details of the steam events at the museum are also available from Mr Chappell or from local tourist information centres.