Rape allegation after teenager attacked
DETECTIVES are investigating today after a rapist struck at an Ipswich house during the school rush hour when many people passed by outside.The 18-year-old woman was attacked in Sidegate Lane in Ipswich at about 4pm yesterday, as pupils from both Sidegate Primary School and nearby Northgate High in Sidegate Lane West, were on their way home.
DETECTIVES are investigating today after a rapist struck at an Ipswich house during the school rush hour when many people passed by outside.
The 18-year-old woman was attacked in Sidegate Lane in Ipswich at about 4pm yesterday, as pupils from both Sidegate Primary School and nearby Northgate High in Sidegate Lane West, were on their way home.
The victim was approached by a man in the driveway of a house, grabbed and forced into her own home, where she was raped.
Suffolk police said the rapist then fled towards a lane that runs along the back of the houses in the road. That lane was today barricaded with police tape.
Detectives, who are searching the house for clues and trying to speak to the victim, said they were in the early stages of the investigation.
The victim was said to have been left in a state of distress, by the crime.
- 1 Six arrested following two incidents involving knives in Ipswich
- 2 Drug dealers jailed after police seize cocaine from van and home
- 3 Two men spit at victim and demand money near Ipswich Waterfront
- 4 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 5 Missing 17-year-old girl found safe and well
- 6 Application submitted for new store in Ipswich
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 Go-ahead for business park project that could create 350 jobs in Ipswich
- 9 Racing bike worth more than £1,000 stolen outside Sainsbury's in Ipswich
- 10 Overnight closures announced for Orwell Bridge works
Residents today awoke to officers arriving in police vans and cars, and were surprised to hear what had happened.
One pensioner said: "It was very busy outside here yesterday at 4pm. There are always so many people about at that time of day, and so much going on.
"But I wouldn't have been watching out the window because I'm usually busy getting dinner ready about then."
Another neighbour who did not want to be named, said: "I wouldn't necessarily have noticed any attacker, because it was so busy. The road is chocablock at that time."
Keith Herod, borough councillor for Rushmere ward which includes Sidegate Lane, said he was shocked by the incident.
"It surprises me to hear about this. It is a nice area to be councillor for, with a good mixture of residents," he added.
"There is not a great deal of crime in the area and, obviously, it must be very worrying for people to hear about something like this. Sadly, you do hear more and more of these kind of incidents happening these days. It is very concerning."
The rapist is white, aged in his 40s, with short black and grey hair. He was wearing a black jumper with a round neck.
Anyone with information should contact Suffolk police on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.