Rare orchids stolen
RARE orchids have been stolen from one of Suffolk's most important grassland nature reserves.Martins Meadows, near Otley, is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and a Suffolk Wildlife Trust nature reserve and is one of the few flower-rich hay meadows left in Suffolk.
RARE orchids have been stolen from one of Suffolk's most important grassland nature reserves.
Martins Meadows, near Otley, is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and a Suffolk Wildlife Trust nature reserve and is one of the few flower-rich hay meadows left in Suffolk.
"It looks like around a dozen turfs supporting green-winged or early purple orchids have been taken, probably by someone who wanted them for their own garden," said Suffolk Wildlife Trust reserves manager Steve Aylward. "This is a criminal offence and the offenders face a substantial fine if caught. Transplantation of orchids is usually unsuccessful due to their very specific requirements - they certainly won't survive in a garden environment."
"Beautiful wild flowers protected in publicly accessible nature reserves are for the enjoyment of the whole community. It's a shame that some people feel the need to deprive others of this pleasure by acting on such selfish impulses,"
You may also want to watch:
"To prevent similar thefts we would appeal to people visiting our nature reserves to report any suspicious behaviour to me at Suffolk Wildlife Trust.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 4 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 5 Duo jailed after 63 bags of cocaine found in hotel room
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: See the three men locked up this week
- 7 Ipswich man charged with attempted murder
- 8 Man to face trial over claims he sexually assaulted toddler in the street
- 9 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 10 Kesgrave Kitchen praised by local MP after 'fantastic' transformation