Residents evacuated over explosion risk

AROUND 30 residents from an Ipswich street had to be evacuated from their homes after a tumble dryer fire turned into a possible explosive site.

AROUND 30 residents from an Ipswich street had to be evacuated from their homes after a tumble dryer fire turned into a possible explosive site.

The incident happened in Whitworth Close and after firefighters were called to the scene at 4.20pm yesterday they realised the garage, which had the tumble dryer in, also contained cylinders for the welding profession.

People were allowed back into their properties at 8pm.

Elsewhere in Cowell Road two properties were evacuated because of a gas leak in a property.

See tonight's Star for details of both stories.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter