Road menace sent to jail

THIS “danger to the public” is behind bars today after being caught driving while disqualified for the EIGHTH time!

THIS “danger to the public” is behind bars today after being caught driving while disqualified for the EIGHTH time!

Lennox Wright lost his liberty as well as his driving licence after being caught behind the wheel on Tuesday evening.

Wright, of Neath Drive, in the Stoke Park area of Ipswich, appeared before South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court yesterday after he was arrested the night before.

He pleaded guilty to driving while disqualified.

Prosecuting solicitor Andrea Reynolds told the court Wright was behind the wheel of a Fiat Punto when he was spotted by police.

She told the court he had seven previous convictions for the same offence.

Most Read

Wright, 43, who was unrepresented, said the car had been parked by his girlfriend after it broke down. It was causing an obstruction and had been left in front of a garden.

Wright, who was flanked by security guards throughout the twenty minute hearing, was addressed by chairman of the bench Diana Hunt.

She said: “We are going to send you to prison for 16 weeks. We have decided custody is our only option on your case.

“You are a danger to the public and this is your eighth offence and you are subject to two disqualifications already.”

As well as sending him to prison, magistrates banned Wright from driving for 18 months. No order was made for prosecution costs.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter