Robbers seen fleeing building society
ONLOOKERS today described how robbers fleeing from a Suffolk building society hold-up resembled a scene from the Keystone Cops.One eyewitness said one of the robbers was so fat he could barely run from the scene of his crime the Norwich and Peterborough Building Society in Leiston.
ONLOOKERS today described how robbers fleeing from a Suffolk building society hold-up resembled a scene from the Keystone Cops.
One eyewitness said one of the robbers was so fat he could barely run from the scene of his crime the Norwich and Peterborough Building Society in Leiston.
While another robber stepped in a shop doorway to adjust his describe – giving a fine view of his face to all the staff.
Shop worker Julie Savery described how she saw a bunch of young men come running past her shop at about 1.20pm yesterday.
You may also want to watch:
One had apparently become troubled by the storm force winds blowing his hood off his face, so he stepped towards the shop to correct his disguise.
She said: "At first I thought it was just a group of youngsters messing around.
- 1 Person in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 2 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 3 Ipswich tops rankings for Suffolk's Japanese knotweed infestations
- 4 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 5 Big Hoot revealed as latest Ipswich art trail for 2022
- 6 Air ambulance lands near Ipswich shops after medical emergency
- 7 Developers seek views on plans for 150 homes on farmland
- 8 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 9 'They saved a life' - neighbour praises firefighters in Ipswich house blaze
- 10 Iconic names, a disastrous relationship and now a music superstar - the evolution of Town’s shirt sponsors
"One came up towards the shop and was adjusting his hood and another came up behind him and said 'get a move on,' then I realised something was up.
"He obviously stepped into the shop doorway to get out of the wind, but it meant I got a real good look at his face.
"He was only a young lad, in his late teens or early twenties, he still had a bit of a pudgy face, although he had a very slim build."
Police said the building society was raided by four men – all wearing purple rubber gloves. Three of them jumped the counter and demanded money, while the fourth stood by the door. They fled towards Sizewell Road with an undisclosed sum of money.
No-one was hurt in the raid.
Police described the raiders as black and all were said to be about 5ft 5in tall with stocky builds. One was described as being between 20 and 30-years-old, unshaven and with short Afro hair, while another had a moustache.
Detectives are keen to trace a silver car that passed the scene near the time of the robbery.
Anyone with information should contact Suffolk police on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.