Romanians held in immigration swoop
IMMIGRATION officials swept into a Suffolk town today and detained three Romanians. One witness, who did not want to be named, said she was in Wickham Market town centre at about 7am when she saw a fleet of official cars arrive.
IMMIGRATION officials swept into a Suffolk town today and detained three Romanians.
One witness, who did not want to be named, said she was in Wickham Market town centre at about 7am when she saw a fleet of official cars arrive.
She said: "All these black Land Rovers with tinted windows came into the square. I was not frightened but I couldn't work out what was going on. I did not like to stare too much."
The witness said a number of officials got out of the cars before going into a house on The Hill.
She said the cars had been parked in different sections of the town centre.
She said: "Eight of them got out, I thought they must be going on a trip or something."
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 3 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 4 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 5 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 6 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 7 Homes with 'stunning' coastal views by Felixstowe golf club up for sale
- 8 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 9 Care home worker may be jailed after using resident's bank card
- 10 Festive shoppers brave the cold for Christmas street market in Ipswich
The witness said she thought the officials were carrying revolvers. She said a mother and her two children were taken away.
She said: "They went into the house next to Seagers shop. I knew they were foreigners, they have lived here about four years.
The witness said she had not yet spoken to other villagers about the raid.
She added: "I heard they might be illegal immigrants. It was a bit of excitement."
A Home Office spokesperson confirmed Immigration Service officials had been to the town today.
He said: "We can confirm that the Immigration Service conducted a visit early this morning in Wickham Market, Suffolk, involving three Romanians who have been detained pending removal.
He added: "Where individuals are found to have no legal basis on which to remain in this country, we seek to remove them."
Did you see what happened? Do you know the people involved? Contact the Evening Star news desk on 01473 324789 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.