Romanians held in immigration swoop
IMMIGRATION officials swept into a Suffolk town today and detained three Romanians. One witness, who did not want to be named, said she was in Wickham Market town centre at about 7am when she saw a fleet of official cars arrive.
IMMIGRATION officials swept into a Suffolk town today and detained three Romanians.
One witness, who did not want to be named, said she was in Wickham Market town centre at about 7am when she saw a fleet of official cars arrive.
She said: "All these black Land Rovers with tinted windows came into the square. I was not frightened but I couldn't work out what was going on. I did not like to stare too much."
The witness said a number of officials got out of the cars before going into a house on The Hill.
You may also want to watch:
She said the cars had been parked in different sections of the town centre.
She said: "Eight of them got out, I thought they must be going on a trip or something."
- 1 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
- 2 Woman 'alarmed and distressed' after verbal abuse in Ipswich
- 3 Drug dealer seen bragging in YouTube rap videos
- 4 Burglary at O2 store in Ipswich town centre
- 5 Man to be sentenced over 'dine and dash' spree
- 6 Man who controlled Ipswich drug line jailed for five years
- 7 Pair in court following suspected stolen dogs raid at West Meadows
- 8 New homes and dormitory block planned for Ipswich school site
- 9 Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- 10 Work to start on new Ipswich town centre retirement homes
The witness said she thought the officials were carrying revolvers. She said a mother and her two children were taken away.
She said: "They went into the house next to Seagers shop. I knew they were foreigners, they have lived here about four years.
The witness said she had not yet spoken to other villagers about the raid.
She added: "I heard they might be illegal immigrants. It was a bit of excitement."
A Home Office spokesperson confirmed Immigration Service officials had been to the town today.
He said: "We can confirm that the Immigration Service conducted a visit early this morning in Wickham Market, Suffolk, involving three Romanians who have been detained pending removal.
He added: "Where individuals are found to have no legal basis on which to remain in this country, we seek to remove them."
Did you see what happened? Do you know the people involved? Contact the Evening Star news desk on 01473 324789 or email email@example.com.