Run for your money
HUNDREDS of fun runners are expected to take up the challenge and pound Felixstowe's seafront next month to raise cash for good causes.Felixstowe Rotary Club is holding its Rotary Road Races on Bank Holiday Monday May 5.
HUNDREDS of fun runners are expected to take up the challenge and pound Felixstowe's seafront next month to raise cash for good causes.
Felixstowe Rotary Club is holding its Rotary Road Races on Bank Holiday Monday May 5.
The event – now in its 24th year – features serious races as well as an hour-long fun run.
Organisers of the races, sponsored by The Car Centre Felixstowe in association with the Evening Star and supported by a large number of businesses, say entry forms are now available.
You may also want to watch:
Last year the races raised £4,080 for the rotary club's charities, which distributed the money to good causes including £1,000 to the Vicky Hall Memorial Fund.
Fun runners raised about £10,000 for charities and good causes of their own choice. This year rotarians have pledged to donate the first £1,000 they raise to the East Anglian Children's Hospices.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Heavy police presence spotted in Ipswich as man arrested
- 3 Rushmere man admits downloading indecent images of children
- 4 9 bargain attractions within an hour of Ipswich
- 5 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 6 Hail, thunder and gusty winds forecast for Suffolk
- 7 Woman in 80s remains in hospital after serious collision in Ipswich
- 8 Ipswich father caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
- 9 Pub bosses hope for 'return to normality' as Covid cases fall in Ipswich
- 10 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
Events on the big day start at 10.15am with a five-mile race which is part of the Suffolk Amateur Athletics Association Seniors Championship for 2003.
The fun run is at 11.15 am when entrants of all ages are invited to walk or run as many laps of a one-mile circuit from the Spa Pavilion, along the seafront and up onto the clifftops and back as they can in an hour.
The run is always colourful and entrants are encouraged to wear fancy dress with cash prizes for the four best-dressed runners, who will be judged by mayoress Jo Minns.
Among the many organisations which enter fun runners are Felixstowe and Walton United Football Club, which is again planning a big entry and will be supported by players from a visiting club in Holland.
People are encouraged to gather donations or sponsorship per lap.
Entry forms are available from the Evening Star Adcentre in Solar or Diamond Mills estate agents, both in Hamilton Road, Felixstowe, or from Ted Race on 01394 285972.
Entrants pay £3 if 16 years old or younger and £5 for over 16. Entry forms and fees should go to Ted Race who can be contacted on the above number or can be paid at the Road Races registration desk inside the Spa Pavilion on the day.