Runners due to be out in force
RUNNERS will be out in force tonight for one of the most popular annual events in the area.The Kirton Friday Five and fun run is expected to attract a large entry for what is traditionally a great run down country lanes with excellent views across the Felixstowe peninsula.
RUNNERS will be out in force tonight for one of the most popular annual events in the area.
The Kirton Friday Five and fun run is expected to attract a large entry for what is traditionally a great run down country lanes with excellent views across the Felixstowe peninsula.
The event – the tenth annual – is organised by the Felixstowe Road Runners and sponsored by Wainwrights Estate and Land Agents, with activities centred on the Kirton Recreation Ground, the start and finish for the racing.
The 1st Kirton Scouts will be helping with marshalling and running the barbecue. Staff from the St John Ambulance will also be on duty.
You may also want to watch:
The five-mile road is the first in the Friday Five Series. Race two will be held at Bury St Edmunds on June 6, race three at Ipswich on June 13, race four at Stowmarket on June 27 and the final event at Great Bentley on July 11.
The fun run starts at 7pm and will follow a one-and-a-half mile course, while the main event goes at 7.30pm over a course of mainly undulating country lanes, with some bridleway stretches and village roads.
- 1 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 2 Tim Hortons restaurant in Ipswich given green light
- 3 Lorry 'not seen' by crane operator in container crush, port say
- 4 Curve Bar nights out and special events - are you in these photos?
- 5 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 6 Police concerned for missing man from Kesgrave
- 7 Kesgrave shooting trial enters final stages
- 8 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 9 'Hammer seen' in robbery by group of males at Felixstowe Skatepark
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
The five-mile race is closed for postal entries but entries will be accepted on the night, up to 7 pm, assuming the race limit is not reached beforehand.
The entry fees on the night are £6 for affiliated runners and £7 for unattached runners. Entries for the fun run are accepted on the night, up 6.30 pm and the fee is £2
There will be prizes for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd placed runners in the men's and women's open race with prizes for individual winners in the various age categories, plus both men's and women's team awards.
A memento will be handed to all finishers in the five-mile race and medals to all finishers in the fun run.
Last year's event has a record turn-out when the five-mile event attracted 309 entrants from all over the region and was won by Solomon Nakale, a male junior from Colchester Harriers, in 26 minutes and 40 seconds
n Felixstowe Road Runners meet at Brackenbury Sports Centre on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. Full details on www.frr.org.uk