Sartid fan's Ipswich delight
IPSWICH-born Goran Doncic is a keen football fan and was delighted to get a job in the ticket office at Portman Road.But when the Blues run out against Sartid Smeterevo tonight, the 34-year-old knows he will find himself torn two ways – he spent 10 years living in the Yugoslav city.
IPSWICH-born Goran Doncic is a keen football fan and was delighted to get a job in the ticket office at Portman Road.
But when the Blues run out against Sartid Smeterevo tonight, the 34-year-old knows he will find himself torn two ways – he spent 10 years living in the Yugoslav city.
"I was born in Ipswich, my parents moved here in the 1960s," he explained. "But when I was 16 they moved back to Smeterevo in Yugoslavia. I went to a high school there and then into the army and then university.
"I returned to Ipswich in the early 1990s with my family, but we return to Smeterevo to see our families once or twice a year."
You may also want to watch:
Goran lives in Ipswich with his wife Nina and two children, Tamara, 10, and Emilia, seven.
"Everybody is asking me who I'll be supporting. Sartid are a very good team, similar to Ipswich in many ways – they have a very strong youth set-up," he said diplomatically.
- 1 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
- 2 Woman 'alarmed and distressed' after verbal abuse in Ipswich
- 3 Community 'very shocked' by stabbing in Ipswich
- 4 Drug dealer seen bragging in YouTube rap videos
- 5 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 6 Work to start on new Ipswich town centre retirement homes
- 7 Burglary at O2 store in Ipswich town centre
- 8 Man to be sentenced over 'dine and dash' spree
- 9 Man who controlled Ipswich drug line jailed for five years
- 10 Pair in court following suspected stolen dogs raid at West Meadows
"Smeterevo is only about 40 minutes from Belgrade, so when I lived there I tended to go and watch Red Star or Partizan – but Sartid have done very well recently."
Goran may be keeping his support close to his chest, but he has no doubt about his children.
"Emilia isn't interested in football, but Tamara is and there's no question that she will be supporting Sartid on the night," he said.
N Ipswich Town's new superstore thriving see page 17
N Tonight's big match preview and latest news see pages 34, 35, 36