Serving up for charity
SOME of the poorest people in Bangladesh are set to benefit from the generosity of an Ipswich restaurant. The Dhaka, in Orwell Place, is staging a charity curry evening on July 24 in aid of the Insaan Aid appeal, which was launched in the town a year ago.
SOME of the poorest people in Bangladesh are set to benefit from the generosity of an Ipswich restaurant.
The Dhaka, in Orwell Place, is staging a charity curry evening on July 24 in aid of the Insaan Aid appeal, which was launched in the town a year ago.
Half of the proceeds of the £15 five-course taste extravaganza will swell the cause coffers.
Restaurant owner Foez Haque, himself a Bangladeshi, said: “The charity was formed in Ipswich by members of the Bangladeshi community.
“We used to help individually but we decided that we needed to work together if we were really going to make a difference and help people out of poverty.
“We chose the name Insaan because it literally means 'human'.
- 1 Ipswich bricklayer dragged wife out of car before kicking and punching her
- 2 'Despicable racism' condemned after letter in post
- 3 Ipswich man appears in court charged with child sex offences
- 4 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 5 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 6 Homeless man allegedly stabbed man who offered help
- 7 Fire crews called to fire on flat balcony in busy Ipswich road
- 8 School in Ipswich 'proud' of good Ofsted report
- 9 Peugeot stolen from Ipswich pub car park
- 10 Delays on A14 after Orwell Bridge incident
“The charity has raised about £5,000 so far and I hope we can raise £1,000 to £1,500 on the night.
“The money is distributed directly so there's no third party involved.
“We want to be able to provide rickshaws for at least 30 families or to help them buy cultivating machines for the land.”
The evening runs from 6.30pm, and Mr Haque urged diners to book in advance.
He added: “It will be an evening to look forward to and we hope people will come and support us.”
For more information, call the restaurant on 01473 251397.
Are you taking part in a charity event? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org