Ipswich’s Sailmakers reports increase in shoppers on busy Boxing Day
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich’s Sailmakers Shopping Centre has reported a 3% increase in the number of shoppers at the centre compared with last December.
Almost 500,000 people had already visited the shopping centre when doors opened for the Boxing Day sales this morning according bosses at the centre with retailers reporting that business had been brisk today, one of the busiest shopping days of the year,
Centre manager Mike Sorhaindo said: “There are lots of shoppers about and lots of them are spending their Christmas gift vouchers.
“Boxing Day is always a very important day in the retail calendar and that’s been true again this year.
“People are enjoying coming to Sailmakers and looking for bargains.
You may also want to watch:
“It has been a busy run-up to Christmas and we expect this to continue as we run into the sales period.”
The centre said footfall had been up more than 40% on an average month and that they hoped to reach 600,000 visitors by the end of the month.
- 1 Covid vaccines cancelled at four Suffolk centres today – this is why
- 2 Good Inside cafe opens for 'real food' takeaways in Ipswich town centre
- 3 Three fined for breaching Covid rules after reports of 'gathering'
- 4 Ipswich child rapist gets 21 years for 'despicable' crimes
- 5 Murder probe launched after woman in 20s dies in Colchester
- 6 Warning after distraction thefts at supermarkets
- 7 Man 'moved on' for eating sausage roll on Ipswich park bench
- 8 What was unearthed during the BBC's Antiques Roadshow Ipswich episode?
- 9 Huge numbers of Covid vaccine bookings in Suffolk
- 10 New cheese afternoon tea launched in Suffolk
A craft fair, Christmas Wishing Tree, Santa’s Postbox and carol singers have all been hosted in the centre to help attract shoppers.