Shopping centre's record figures
TOWER Ramparts celebrated the New Year by announcing record figures for the second successive year.The Centre, which celebrated its 15th Birthday in November, had extra reason to celebrate as centre manager Mike Sorhaindo announced its best ever November and December.
TOWER Ramparts celebrated the New Year by announcing record figures for the second successive year.
The Centre, which celebrated its 15th Birthday in November, had extra reason to celebrate as centre manager Mike Sorhaindo announced its best ever November and December.
Footfall figures broke the previous record by five per cent taking the annual numbers of people passing through the centre to well over nine million in 2001.
This comes despite stiff competition from other retail outlets and its main competitors in the town.
The news signals a recognition that Ipswich shoppers have increasing confidence in the economy and in the retail offer presented by the town with less trips being taken outside the county into nearby Essex and indeed to major destinations like Lakeside, Bluewater and London.
Mr Sorhaindo said: "Retailers at the centre are reporting to have had a very successful Christmas trading period with some individual stores reporting sales increases year on year as high as 18 per cent, well above the national trend.
- 1 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 2 Goat dies and ponies injured after dog attack
- 3 Man was allegedly battered to death in Ipswich guest house, jury hears
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Two men steal pedal bike from outside Ipswich primary school
- 6 Final homes in 75-house development to go on sale
- 7 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 8 Ipswich business worry as customers rein back spending
- 9 Ipswich family celebrate their funny and likeable son with football match
- 10 Delays near Orwell Bridge after wheels of trailer carrying boat fall off
"This is very encouraging and confirms the popularity of our retail brands and range of stores. Something that we are very proud of at the centre," he added.