Smoke alarm helped get people to safety after house fire in Westbourne Road, Ipswich

A fire engine at the scene of a house fire in Westbourne Road, Ipswich. Picture: PAUL GEATER

A fire engine at the scene of a house fire in Westbourne Road, Ipswich. Picture: PAUL GEATER - Credit: Archant

A smoke alarm helped save lives during a blaze at a home in Ipswich this evening.

Two fire crews from Princes Street in the town were called to Westbourne Road just after 7.45pm.

The first floor of a semi-detached home was smoke-logged after a fire apparently broke out in the house boiler.

The occupants got out safely once they had been alerted by their smoke alarm – the householder saw smoke once it had gone off and everyone left the house.

Simon Hurst was one of the fire commanders at the scene and said four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus had tackled the fire and quickly brought it under control, although there was smoke damage in the house.

He said: “The smoke detectors did exactly what they are supposed to do.

“It was properly maintained and alerted the household to the fire so they could get out and raise the alarm.

Most Read

“That is why alarms like this are so important.”