Smoke alarm warning after toddler death
FIRE chiefs have stressed the importance of smoke alarms after the death of Suffolk toddler Tyrone Reay.Little Tyrone died after flames engulfed his Kessingland home.
FIRE chiefs have stressed the importance of smoke alarms after the death of Suffolk toddler Tyrone Reay.
Little Tyrone died after flames engulfed his Kessingland home. The blaze started after a game with matches went tragically wrong.
Assistant chief fire officer Chris Turnock said: "The fire officers involved in this particularly sad incident would like to extend their fullest sympathies to the boy's family.
"This was a preventable fire which should serve as a stark reminder of the real dangers of fire and the vital importance of smoke alarms.
You may also want to watch:
"We would like to remind people that matches should be kept away from children at all times and that smoke alarms need to be installed but, importantly, regularly checked.
"Families and individuals also need to plan in advance how they would evacuate their homes in the event of a fire."
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 4 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: See the three men locked up this week
- 6 Man to face trial over claims he sexually assaulted toddler in the street
- 7 Kesgrave Kitchen praised by local MP after 'fantastic' transformation
- 8 Duo jailed after 63 bags of cocaine found in hotel room
- 9 Ipswich man charged with attempted murder
- 10 Stroke survivor cut off from family in lockdown returns home
Two-year-old Tyrone was plucked from his home in The Nordalls by firefighters battling the Kessingland blaze.
But frantic efforts to save him failed and he was pronounced dead on arrival at James Paget hospital in Gorleston.
Firefighters at the scene revealed the home's smoke alarm was not working properly – just one of a 30 per cent rise in alarm failure.
Fire safety chiefs have urged people to ensure the battery is properly fitted and check all alarms have a kitemark.
All alarms should be fitted with a new battery, cleaned and vacuumed at least once a year.
They should also be tested at least once a month and the battery should never be removed to use it for other purposes.