Spotlight set to return to town

MEDIA attention is to return to Ipswich in the coming weeks as preparations get underway for the next court case into the town's red-light killings.Steve Wright, 48, is due to appear at Ipswich Crown Court on May 1 where he will enter a plea into charges of the murders of Tania Nicol, 19, Gemma Adams, 25, Anneli Alderton, 24, Paula Clennell, 24, and Annette Nicholls, 29.

MEDIA attention is to return to Ipswich in the coming weeks as preparations get underway for the next court case into the town's red-light killings.

Steve Wright, 48, is due to appear at Ipswich Crown Court on May 1 where he will enter a plea into charges of the murders of Tania Nicol, 19, Gemma Adams, 25, Anneli Alderton, 24, Paula Clennell, 24, and Annette Nicholls, 29.

Wright, of London Road, Ipswich, is currently being held at London's Belmarsh prison and will be transported to Ipswich via a secure van for the hearing.

He is accused of murdering all five women between October 30 and December 12.

It is not known if the families of the women will be in court for the proceedings but the boyfriend of Miss Adams is currently banned from entering the borough of Ipswich after assaulting a Merseyside police officer assisting with the investigation into his partner's death.

However, dozens of journalists will descend on the court building in Russell Road, to hear legal arguments and directions for future hearings.

Most Read

Photographers are also expected to line the streets outside court in the hope of gaining a picture of Wright inside the prison van.

The court case is due to last for about two hours and is expected to include representations about the venue of any forthcoming trial.

Mark Haslam, Wright's solicitor, said he could not discuss any aspect of the case at the current time, including who he had instructed as Wright's barrister.

Previously Paul Osler of Oslers Solicitors in Newmarket was representing the defendant with Karim Khalil acting as his barrister but Wright has since sacked that legal team and chosen Burton Copeland London to represent him.

Mr Haslam, a partner at that firm, said: “I do not have any instructions to discuss the case in the media at all.

“Previously there was a lot of discussion, some of which was wholly inappropriate.

“Because of what has happened before it has been decided that we won't discuss any part of the case.”

He said he could not comment on how Wright was coping with his experience.

Peter Wright QC will be working on behalf of the Crown Prosecution Service.

He successfully prosecuted Harold Shipman in 1999.

The former GP was found guilty of 15 counts of murder.

What do you think? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail eveningstarletters@eveningstar.co.uk.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter