Steaming through the county
STEAM enthusiasts in Suffolk will have another chance to glimpse an express train pounding through the county next week.The Cathedrals Express, hauled by Southern Railway "Merchant Navy" class pacific locomotive Canadian Pacific will be passing through the county on Tuesday evening.
By Paul Geater
STEAM enthusiasts in Suffolk will have another chance to glimpse an express train pounding through the county next week.
The Cathedrals Express, hauled by Southern Railway "Merchant Navy" class pacific locomotive Canadian Pacific will be passing through the county on Tuesday evening.
The train will be returning to London after paying its first ever visit to Norwich.
It is the first Cathedral Express of the year – and it will be paying several more visits to East Anglia throughout 2002.
The train takes a circular route from Liverpool Street – on the outward journey it travels via Cambridge, Ely and Thetford. And on the way back it travels direct through Diss, Stowmarket, Ipswich, and Colchester.
- 1 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 2 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 3 Rudolph starts his run - when is he coming to your Ipswich street?
- 4 Plans submitted to turn special measures care home into hotel
- 5 Suspected drink-driver charged after three-car collision in Ipswich
- 6 Illegal immigrant caught running cannabis factory is jailed
- 7 Ipswich School named among the best in the region
- 8 Anti-crime campaigners plan Christmas grotto at tattoo studio
- 9 Emergency road closure in place on busy Ipswich road
- 10 Four charged over alleged samurai sword attack
It is scheduled to pass through Stowmarket at 18.50, Ipswich at 19.10, and Manningtree at 19.23 on Tuesday.
The train, hauled either by Canadian Pacific or its smaller stable-mate Bodmin, is scheduled to return to East Anglian rails on June 12, July 17, August 28, and September 25.
Tuesday's train – which will run despite it being the same day as the Queen Mother's funeral – is almost fully booked although there are a few seats left in the Premier Dining class.
Details and bookings can be made through operators Steam Dreams at www.steamdreams.co.uk or telephone them on 01483-209888.