Steaming through the county
STEAM enthusiasts in Suffolk will have another chance to glimpse an express train pounding through the county next week.The Cathedrals Express, hauled by Southern Railway "Merchant Navy" class pacific locomotive Canadian Pacific will be passing through the county on Tuesday evening.
By Paul Geater
STEAM enthusiasts in Suffolk will have another chance to glimpse an express train pounding through the county next week.
The Cathedrals Express, hauled by Southern Railway "Merchant Navy" class pacific locomotive Canadian Pacific will be passing through the county on Tuesday evening.
The train will be returning to London after paying its first ever visit to Norwich.
You may also want to watch:
It is the first Cathedral Express of the year – and it will be paying several more visits to East Anglia throughout 2002.
The train takes a circular route from Liverpool Street – on the outward journey it travels via Cambridge, Ely and Thetford. And on the way back it travels direct through Diss, Stowmarket, Ipswich, and Colchester.
- 1 Man caught in Ipswich park paedophile sting jailed for more than two years
- 2 Should buses be kept out of Ipswich's Upper Brook Street?
- 3 Ipswich teenage boy arrested over stabbing
- 4 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 5 Ipswich lorry drivers raise a glass as haulage firm launches in-house watering hole
- 6 Couple avoid jail for campaign of harassment against neighbour
- 7 Five of the best places to cure your hangover in Ipswich
- 8 Farmland 'years away' from development, says builder
- 9 Woman accused of fraudulently giving £75k to son while bankrupt
- 10 Man taken to hospital after becoming stuck in mud in Ipswich riverbank
It is scheduled to pass through Stowmarket at 18.50, Ipswich at 19.10, and Manningtree at 19.23 on Tuesday.
The train, hauled either by Canadian Pacific or its smaller stable-mate Bodmin, is scheduled to return to East Anglian rails on June 12, July 17, August 28, and September 25.
Tuesday's train – which will run despite it being the same day as the Queen Mother's funeral – is almost fully booked although there are a few seats left in the Premier Dining class.
Details and bookings can be made through operators Steam Dreams at www.steamdreams.co.uk or telephone them on 01483-209888.