Stowmarket: Teenager dies in tragic accident
PRAYERS are today being said for the family of a teenage motorcyclist who died after a horror smash in the town centre.
Police and paramedics were scrambled to Gipping Way - near the junction with Station Road West - at about 5.30pm yesterday.
A spokesman for Suffolk police said it is believed the biker, an 18-year-old man, lost control of his KTM 640cc bike and collided with an obstacle on the pavement, possibly a road sign. The spokesman added: “He lost control of the bike and sustained fatal injuries.”
One resident, who did not wish to be named, said: “I was driving through Stowmarket at about half six. There was a cordon between the two junctions that go to the station and Stowupland. It’s really sad, it’s the second serious motorbike accident I’ve seen around there.”
Community figures were also in shock about the incident and a church leader said the family will be in their prayers.
Stephen Nowak, pastor of Stowmarket Baptist Church, said: “We know there was an accident – I was at the recreation ground with my family and they were saying that someone had died. It is very sad, very tragic.
“We are praying for the family. If they want to contact anybody, we would jump at the chance of trying to bring some words of comfort and hope at this sad time.”
- 1 Weather warning for Suffolk as thunderstorms expected to affect travel
- 2 A12 reopens after air ambulance called to three-lorry crash
- 3 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 4 New Venezuelan restaurant to bring fusion of flavour to Ipswich
- 5 Company fined £12,000 for repeatedly failing to clear Ipswich flat's waste
- 6 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 7 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 8 Community calls for action as two questioned over Ipswich stabbing
- 9 Food review: ‘The Botanist in Ipswich lives up to the hype’
- 10 Transport is patients' top priority in new medical centre plans
A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said they were called to the scene just before 5.30pm.
He said: “We were called to Stowmarket to a motorcyclist who had come off his bike.
“We sent a doctor, a response car and ambulances – the person was pronounced dead at the scene.”
Police are appealing for anyone who witnessed the incident who has not come forward, to call PC Andy Smith at the Serious Collision Investigation Team at Suffolk Police on 101.
? Do you know the teenager? Send your tributes to email@example.com