Stowmarket to enter bloom competition
STOWMARKET is to enter Anglia in Bloom for the first time in years as a town mayor strives to encourage people to shop locally.Mayor Anne Whybrow wants to see flowers throughout the community, and within the town centre, hanging baskets from shops.
STOWMARKET is to enter Anglia in Bloom for the first time in years as a town mayor strives to encourage people to shop locally.
Mayor Anne Whybrow wants to see flowers throughout the community, and within the town centre, hanging baskets from shops. She also plans to have floral displays on the roundabouts, using the colours from the town council' crest, and plants at all the Stowmarket signs.
There will also be a move to keep the community even tidier as councillors and officers do all they can to help local retailers and attract people into shop and support local businesses, some of which have been serving local people for years.
Mrs Whybrow, who also serves as a Suffolk county councillor, said: “We are really going to go for this in 2009, it has been several years since we have entered.
“We are going to put Stowmarket on the map with our floral displays and show the town for the beautiful place that it is. This will help people to shop local, we want people to want to come here and see what we have to offer.”
George Dawson, chairman of the judges for Anglia in Bloom, said: “Entering shows that those who enter care about their community and the local environment. The moment the community takes the decision to enter, it can look forward to an exciting and rewarding year.
- 1 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 2 Former BBC DJ to go live with new station
- 3 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 4 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 5 Delays likely on major Ipswich road as 12 days of roadworks planned
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 7 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 8 Gang jailed for 'horrific' torture attack on man in Ipswich home
- 9 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 10 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
Are you pleased with the town council's bid to enter Stowmarket for Anglia in Bloom? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org