Stowmarket to enter bloom competition
STOWMARKET is to enter Anglia in Bloom for the first time in years as a town mayor strives to encourage people to shop locally.Mayor Anne Whybrow wants to see flowers throughout the community, and within the town centre, hanging baskets from shops.
STOWMARKET is to enter Anglia in Bloom for the first time in years as a town mayor strives to encourage people to shop locally.
Mayor Anne Whybrow wants to see flowers throughout the community, and within the town centre, hanging baskets from shops. She also plans to have floral displays on the roundabouts, using the colours from the town council' crest, and plants at all the Stowmarket signs.
There will also be a move to keep the community even tidier as councillors and officers do all they can to help local retailers and attract people into shop and support local businesses, some of which have been serving local people for years.
Mrs Whybrow, who also serves as a Suffolk county councillor, said: “We are really going to go for this in 2009, it has been several years since we have entered.
You may also want to watch:
“We are going to put Stowmarket on the map with our floral displays and show the town for the beautiful place that it is. This will help people to shop local, we want people to want to come here and see what we have to offer.”
George Dawson, chairman of the judges for Anglia in Bloom, said: “Entering shows that those who enter care about their community and the local environment. The moment the community takes the decision to enter, it can look forward to an exciting and rewarding year.
- 1 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 2 Curve Bar nights out and special events - are you in these photos?
- 3 Tim Hortons restaurant in Ipswich given green light
- 4 Police concerned for missing man from Kesgrave
- 5 Lorry 'not seen' by crane operator in container crush, port say
- 6 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 7 Kesgrave shooting trial enters final stages
- 8 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 9 'Hammer seen' in robbery by group of males at Felixstowe Skatepark
- 10 ‘Totally unacceptable’ - Cladding fears for Waterfront blocks near Aurora
Are you pleased with the town council's bid to enter Stowmarket for Anglia in Bloom? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org