Street brawl - four men bailed
POLICE were today investigating a massive brawl involving around 50 people in Ipswich town centre.Four men have been released on bail following the incident, which left two police officers needing hospital treatment.
POLICE were today investigating a massive brawl involving around 50 people in Ipswich town centre.
Four men have been released on bail following the incident, which left two police officers needing hospital treatment.
The violence sparked at about 12.15am on Sunday, in Tacket Street.
An eyewitness to the 20-minute punch-up recalled seeing numerous flailing arms as the fight moved into the NCP car park behind Woolworths.
It is thought it started with a disagreement between two people in the L'apres wine bar.
After the pair left, they continued to argue outside and came to blows.
- 1 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 2 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 3 Rudolph starts his run - when is he coming to your Ipswich street?
- 4 Plans submitted to turn special measures care home into hotel
- 5 Ipswich School named among the best in the region
- 6 Illegal immigrant caught running cannabis factory is jailed
- 7 Suspected drink-driver charged after three-car collision in Ipswich
- 8 Four charged over alleged samurai sword attack
- 9 Gang jailed for 'horrific' torture attack on man in Ipswich home
- 10 Ipswich pubs offer cash reward to see spiking conviction
It was at this point where a number of other people, believed to be known to the pair, became involved.
The eyewitness said: "There were lots of people standing around watching but there wasn't any bystanders getting involved.
"It was quite a scene. There were arms flailing everywhere and people being pulled off and thrown to the floor."
It is thought up to 25 officers were involved in bringing the incident under control.
The onlooker added: "There were pockets of violence all over the place."
Four people were treated by paramedics for minor injuries, including two police officers who suffered blows to their head. It is believed the officers were dealing with separate incidents in the melee when they were injured."
The officers were taken to Ipswich Hospital but were released soon after.
A spokeswoman for the East Anglian Ambulance NHS Trust said there was a "serious level of disturbance" when they arrived.
The arrested men, aged 20, 23, 24 and 25, are all from the Ipswich area. They were bailed last night so further inquiries can take place.
The trouble came just two days after police warned they drunken revellers misbehaving on Suffolk's streets could face on-the-spot £80 fines.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call Suffolk police on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
What do you think of this incident? Call the Evening Star newsdesk on 01473 324788 or write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN.