Students bring roller skating back to Felixstowe
- Credit: Inspire Suffolk/Getty Images/iStockphoto
Students on Inspire's Team Programme have helped bring roller skating back to Felixstowe.
The students, Jessica Foxhall, Courtney Herring, Keeley Oates and Jenna Carstensen from the Felixstowe Team, are using their social action by bringing the sporting pastime to the coast with Manning's Amusements and Ipswich Skating Club.
The team has helped organise, clean, fit-out and paint a storage provided by Manning's, which will enable ISC to provide club-based skating activities, operating from 'the shed' in the Beach Street complex.
The work will also make way for over 100 extra pairs of skates from Felixstowe School and clear space to store music, lighting and equipment.
The team chose this project to leave a legacy for the community and help others like them access opportunities.
One of the team, Jenna Carstensen said: "We are thrilled to be part of something that leaves a lasting impression on our town and will allow other young people to enjoy the skating facilities for years to come."
Felixstowe Team leader, Steven Prentice, said: "Our young people are really excelled in what was a very physical Community project.
- 1 Teenager sexually assaulted and then robbed in Ipswich
- 2 GALLERY: Photos show devastating aftermath of huge fire near Ipswich
- 3 Travellers pitch up in one of Ipswich's busiest parks
- 4 'He'd be dead' - mum's terror after wave drags her and baby down beach
- 5 Teenager’s 10 year sentence is warning over ‘horrendous’ acid attacks
- 6 Police cordon in place outside former Grimwades store in Ipswich
- 7 Open air theatre coming to Ipswich park later this month
- 8 One of the world's largest container ships arrives at Port of Felixstowe
- 9 Smoke seen across Ipswich as crews tackle large fire
- 10 Redundant care home being used as homes applying for planning after 5 years
"As their tutor, I am really proud of their planning for the project, work ethic and resilience throughout."