Suffolk Day: ‘Chain Gang’ mayors gather at Ipswich Town Hall to celebrate historic day
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich mayor Sarah Barber delivered a speech hailing Suffolk’s “incredible coast”, “unspoilt countryside” and the region’s “finest” football team, which generated a slightly ironic cheer from the crowd.
Almost 20 mayors, mayoresses, chairmen and consorts from across Suffolk gathered at Ipswich Town Hall for Councillor Barber’s speech (which starts at 2:00 in our Facebook Live video).
The county is celebrating the first-ever Suffolk Day today, with various events happening across the region.
Councillor Barber said: “We have historic towns, villages, the incredible coast and so much unspoilt countryside. We have fantastic local food, so much art and culture, and innovative businesses to take us forward. We have museums, parks, breweries and also the finest football club in the region.
“We are all proud of our county and the wonderful people who live and work here. Today, people of all ages will get involved, underlining the past, present and future.
You may also want to watch:
“We hope Suffolk Day will become an annual celebration and while it is fitting to read this proclamation from the heart of Suffolk’s county town, it is only right that the honour is shared in future years among our many friends gathered here today.”
Beccles, Bury, Haverhill, Hadleigh, Sudbury, Felixstowe, Needham Market, Woodbridge, Framlingham and Mildenhall were represented in the county town to join in the celebration of everything that is good about Suffolk.
- 1 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 2 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 3 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 4 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 5 Man jailed after safe stolen from Spread Eagle pub
- 6 Superhero send off planned for 'charismatic and cheeky' Alexander, 15
- 7 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 8 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 10 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage