Broken manhole cover closes lane for more than seven hours
- Credit: Archant
A busted manhole on the A12 has closed a lane for almost eight hours leading to heavy traffic.
Suffolk police say they were called to the road at around 8.20am this morning after reports of a collapsed manhole cover on the A-road.
The split cover is around 200 yards from the off slip road at Capel, just before the Esso garage.
Suffolk Highways were also called to the scene, between junction 31 at East Bergholt and junction 32B at Capel Road.
They closed a single lane heading northbound towards Ipswich to see to the manhole.
You may also want to watch:
Police were able to leave the scene but Suffolk Highways remain on hand to complete repair works.
The closure is causing substantial queuing traffic from Holton St Mary back past junction 30 with Stratford St Mary and Dedham on the A12.
- 1 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 2 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 3 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 4 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 5 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 6 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 7 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 8 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 9 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 10 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
Slow moving traffic is making its way past junction 31.