Suffolk: London 2012 pair are up for award
TWO stars of the Olympic and Paralympic Games have been nominated for Stars of Suffolk awards.
Boxer Anthony Ogogo and powerlighter Zoe Newson who put in medal-winning performances at the London 2012 Games are both up for the sporting achievement gong.
Anthony, 24, of Lowestoft, won bronze in the middleweight category, said: “I really appreciate the award nomination because I always try to stress that I’m very much an East Anglian and want to give people something to cheer about.
“Hopefully I have inspired kids from Suffolk and East Anglia to take up sports and do better things with their lives.”
Zoe, from East Bergholt, who was born with dwarfism, won a Paralympic bronze medal in the up to 40kg powerlifting category. She lifted 88kg behind China’s Cui Zhe, who took silver, and Turkey’s Nazmiye Muslu the world-record setting gold medallist.
You may also want to watch:
The 20-year-old, who is currently ranked No 1. in Europe and fourth in the world, said: “I feel quite honoured really.
“The Paralympic medal hasn’t really sunk in yet and I’m still trying to get over it.”
- 1 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 2 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 3 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 6 Trial set for man who robbed mum of her handbag
- 7 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 8 Holly holding onto new hope in eating disorder recovery process
- 9 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 10 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
The Stars of Suffolk awards night will be held at Suffolk New College on January 18.