Suffolk: New guide dog pup appeal on target thanks to darts players
AN Ipswich Star appeal to raise the money for a sixth guide dog puppy has got off to a fantastic start today – thanks to Felixstowe’s women darts players.
The appeal is aiming to raise �5,000 and already has �1,850 following a presentation by members of the Felixstowe Ladies’ Darts League.
The darts players hold charity collections and raffles at their matches throughout the season and then choose a charity to support each year.
The proceeds were handed over to puppy walker Penny Parker, of the East and Mid Suffolk Guide Dogs fundraising group, at the league’s trophy presentation night at the Felixstowe Trades and Labour Club.
“It was a fantastic gesture from the league, a wonderful effort and we cannot thank them enough for their support,” said Mrs Parker.
“I had no idea how much the ladies had raised and to receive a cheque like that was tremendous.
“It’s got our new appeal off to a wonderful start.”
- 1 Man suffers fractured eye socket after attack outside Ipswich bus station
- 2 Suffolk rail services affected after person hit by a train
- 3 Woman who stole £24k from school and football club to face sentence
- 4 Plans for 440 homes and visitor centre in Ipswich Garden Suburb submitted
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals locked up so far in 2022
- 6 OPINION: Free sporting activities for children return to Ipswich this summer
- 7 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 8 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 9 Most desirable places to live in Ipswich according to estate agents
- 10 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
This autumn a new guide dog puppy will arrive to follow in the footsteps of Star, Faith, Sterling, and current pup Robson, who will move on to the next stage of his training.
The money has already been raised for the new pup, thanks to generous Star readers and a variety of businesses, community organisations and fundraising events.
The sixth pup – if the money is successfully raised – would then arrive in autumn 2013.
? To donate to the Ipswich Star Guide Dog Appeal, send your cheques – made payable to Guide Dogs – to Richard Cornwell, Felixstowe editor, Felixstowe Star, 172 Hamilton Road, Felixstowe, Suffolk, IP11 7DU.
? Has a guide dog made a difference to someone in your life? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or send an e-mail to email@example.com