Speed checks catch car at 81mph in 50mph zone on A140 near Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
A car was caught travelling at more than 30mph over the legal speed limit at a police checkpoint near a Suffolk village.
Officers from the Norfolk and Suffolk Roads and Armed Policing Team were carrying out speed checks on the A140 at Coddenham, near Ipswich, on Saturday, April 13.
In a Tweet afterwards, they said that a number of drivers were given traffic offence reports for “various speeds above the 50mph limit - one of which was 81mph”.
A traffic offence report can be issued to anyone seen committing a road offence.
Police in Suffolk recently took part in a week-long European Traffic Police Network TISPOL speed enforcement campaign.
You may also want to watch:
Speeding is seen by police one of the ‘fatal four’ offences which makes you more likely to be killed or seriously injured in a collision alongside drink-driving, driving whilst using a mobile phone and not wearing a seatbelt.
Ahead of the TISPOL campaign, Suffolk’s police and crime commissioner Tim Passmore said: “I find it absolutely staggering that, despite all the publicity and numerous warning signs, drivers continue to be caught driving at such horrendous speeds.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 3 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 5 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 6 London man who travelled to meet decoy teen to stand trial
- 7 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 8 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 9 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 10 Ipswich parents can 'survive not thrive' on £15 half-term food vouchers
“I cannot understand how anyone could ever think there is an excuse for such reckless and irresponsible behaviour.”