Suffolk's beach flying Blue Flag again
FELIXSTOWE'S main holiday beach was today named as one of the best in Europe for the fourth year running.The resort's south shore – between the pier and the funfair – has again won a prestigious Blue Flag, a major boost to its efforts to attract more visitors.
FELIXSTOWE'S main holiday beach was today named as one of the best in Europe for the fourth year running.
The resort's south shore – between the pier and the funfair – has again won a prestigious Blue Flag, a major boost to its efforts to attract more visitors.
"It is excellent news for Felixstowe that the south beach has again won this much sought after official stamp of approval and in doing so earned the top standard in terms of bathing water quality and for the first time obtained an A grading for the way that it is managed," said John Perry, Suffolk Coastal cabinet member for economic development and tourism.
"What is also good news is that The Dip at Felixstowe has again won the prestigious Rural Beaches Award for beach cleanliness and water quality which means that visitors and residents to the resort are officially guaranteed good facilities, good quality beaches and safe bathing water."
You may also want to watch:
The flag will be hoisted tomorrow by council chairman John Hammond at a special ceremony near the Tourist Information Centre.
The Seaside Awards Blue Flags are given by ENCAMS recognise clean, well-managed resort and rural beaches that comply with the legal minimum standards of water quality as laid down by the European Union.
- 1 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 2 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 3 Plans for new central Ipswich Travelodge now available to view online
- 4 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
- 5 Lounge bar with bespoke cocktails and tapas to open at Ipswich waterfront
- 6 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED: Witches prove too hot for Lynn
- 7 Ipswich music producer's 'amazing' rise as global DJ's assistant
- 8 Breakdown on Orwell Bridge cleared after queues to Copdock roundabout
- 9 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 10 Former Town star Clapham gets head coaching role
All bathing water is tested and only those beaches that meet the strict European guidelines are eligible for an award.
ENCAMS measures nearly 20 different criteria before the awards are decided, and to win the Blue Flag, Felixstowe south beach had to meet additional categories on dog control, supervision and first aid facilities during peak hours and the provision of parking and toilets for disabled visitors.