Suffolk student to meet the Queen
Beating off stiff competition, a Suffolk engineering student has secured an invite to a Garden Party to be held at Buckingham Palace.Marie Bowers – a 20-year-old NVQ Level 3 Service Engineering student at Otley College – will meet Her Majesty The Queen on July 16.
Beating off stiff competition, a Suffolk engineering student has secured an invite to a Garden Party to be held at Buckingham Palace.
Marie Bowers – a 20-year-old NVQ Level 3 Service Engineering student at Otley College – will meet Her Majesty The Queen on July 16. Marie, who lives in Stowmarket, works at 'Bright Acres Tool Hire' in the town. She attends College on a day release basis, and will become the first woman to achieve her Level 3 Service Engineering qualification at Otley when she completes this summer.
The College was asked by The Lord Lieutenant of Suffolk, Lord Belstead, to nominate a student to attend the Garden Party back in January, and a number of departments put forward their nominations to the Principal, John W. Pearson. The Principal said today: "The quality of the students put forward by my colleagues was nothing short of overwhelming. In the end, we selected Marie as she is a shining example of a student who 'earns while she learns', and in what is a traditionally male-dominated course. We are all very proud of her."
A delighted Marie said: "This is an exciting time for me, especially as careers advisors doubted I would make it to college. I enjoy my engineering course and my work and it is funny that I may see the Queen twice in as many days – since she is visiting Stowmarket the day after the Garden Party, as part of her Jubilee Tour!"
You may also want to watch:
Marie's employer, Duncan McDonald, paid tribute to Marie's determination: "We are so pleased for Marie, and all she has achieved. She has learnt a lot both at Bright Acres and Otley College, which was able to offer flexible learning, which works well for us."
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 3 'My life is on hold' – Ipswich man's plea for life-changing surgery
- 4 'Kind and caring' friend of the football community dies
- 5 Did you enjoy a night out at Splitz Bar in 2002?
- 6 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 7 Historic Waterfront church to be new Ipswich music venue
- 8 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 9 Risk of thundery showers this evening, say forecasters
- 10 New Ipswich fine food store is back - and smoked eels prove a hit