Super slimmer Marie Marriott sheds 8st in 12 months to be named Woman of the Year
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
An Ipswich mum has been regionally recognised for her slimming efforts after dropping seven dress sizes in just one year.
Marie Marriott, who is originally from Hadleigh and now lives in Ipswich, tipped the scales at 20 stone last September when she joined her local Slimming World group at Copleston High School after becoming a first-time mum to daughter Jaime.
After losing her own mum five years ago, Miss Marriott decided to make some positive health changes.
“My mum passed away when I was 26,” she said. “Although her death wasn’t weight-related, I knew that if I didn’t do something about my own weight, my daughter might well be faced with the prospect of having to arrange my funeral before she was even out of school.
“I took one look at her and resolved to do everything I could to ensure I was there for her for as long as possible.”
After a year of following a ‘food optimising’ eating plan and regular exercise, Miss Marriott shed an impressive 8st 2lbs and now slips into a size 10/12 dress.
And her incredible transformation hasn’t gone unrecognised, as Miss Marriott has just been awarded the title of Slimming World Suffolk & Norfolk Woman of the Year 2015, a competition that aims to mark the achievements of women in making long-term healthy lifestyle changes for themselves and their families.
- 1 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 2 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
- 3 Revealed: All the places crimes were reported in Ipswich in April
- 4 Tributes paid to 'calm and caring' grassroots football stalwart 'Mr Exiles'
- 5 Swimming pool at primary school open again after two years
- 6 Popular Ipswich motorcycle show to return for 30th year
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 8 'They saved our boy's life' - Fundraiser for hospital that helped little Rocco
- 9 7 walks in Suffolk with a stunning view
- 10 Baby porpoise washes up at Suffolk beach
She will go forward to represent Suffolk and Norfolk for a chance of winning the national title of Slimming World Woman of the Year 2015, which will be announced in November and the winner will take home a £5,000 cash prize or holiday.
Miss Marriott, 31, said the experience had changed her life and she never dreamed she could achieve so much.
Sally Neal, who runs the Copleston group in Ipswich, added: “I’m so proud of Marie. “She’s a huge inspiration to everyone in our group, she’s brought friends and family members to join too and I hope she inspires other women in Ipswich to change their lives in the same way.”