Sweet-toothed Ipswich shoplifter stole Maltesers, Ripples, Milky Ways, Galaxy and Peppermint Aeros
- Credit: Archant
A sweet-toothed Christmas Eve shoplifter who stole nine chocolate bars, drink, and a bag of jellies totalling £12 is now facing a £205 bill.
Leonard Baynes, of Hervey Street, Ipswich, pleaded guilty to theft from a shop when he appeared before South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court.
The 49-year-old stole the items from McColl’s in Sailmakers shopping centre at around 3.05pm.
Prosecutor David Bryant said Baynes was stopped at the scene and found to be in possession of the confectionary.
The items included two Peppermint Aero Bubbly bars, one packet of Maltesers, a bag of jellies, three Ripple bars, a Galaxy Caramel, a bottle of Cherry Lucozade and three Milky Bars.
You may also want to watch:
The total value of the haul came to £12.61.
The court was told Baynes admitted the offence when questioned and apologised for the theft.
- 1 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 2 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 3 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 4 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 5 60-acre logistic park off A14 approved
- 6 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 7 Man admits exposing himself to women in park near Felixstowe
- 8 High winds close Ipswich festival event temporarily
- 9 Ed Sheeran announces Christmas show supporting young Suffolk musicians
- 10 Anger at 'death trap' road in Pinewood
No reason was given for why Baynes stole the items.
Baynes has previous convictions, the last of which was in August 2014.
District Judge Sandeep Kainth told Baynes: “All that chocolate was far too tempting.”
Baynes was fined £100. He was also ordered to pay costs of £85 as well as £20 to the victims’ fund.