Sweet-toothed Ipswich shoplifter stole Maltesers, Ripples, Milky Ways, Galaxy and Peppermint Aeros
- Credit: Archant
A sweet-toothed Christmas Eve shoplifter who stole nine chocolate bars, drink, and a bag of jellies totalling £12 is now facing a £205 bill.
Leonard Baynes, of Hervey Street, Ipswich, pleaded guilty to theft from a shop when he appeared before South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court.
The 49-year-old stole the items from McColl’s in Sailmakers shopping centre at around 3.05pm.
Prosecutor David Bryant said Baynes was stopped at the scene and found to be in possession of the confectionary.
The items included two Peppermint Aero Bubbly bars, one packet of Maltesers, a bag of jellies, three Ripple bars, a Galaxy Caramel, a bottle of Cherry Lucozade and three Milky Bars.
The total value of the haul came to £12.61.
The court was told Baynes admitted the offence when questioned and apologised for the theft.
- 1 A12 reopens after air ambulance called to three-lorry crash
- 2 Weather warning for Suffolk as thunderstorms expected to affect travel
- 3 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 4 New Venezuelan restaurant to bring fusion of flavour to Ipswich
- 5 Company fined £12,000 for repeatedly failing to clear Ipswich flat's waste
- 6 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 7 Community calls for action as two questioned over Ipswich stabbing
- 8 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 9 Food review: ‘The Botanist in Ipswich lives up to the hype’
- 10 Transport is patients' top priority in new medical centre plans
No reason was given for why Baynes stole the items.
Baynes has previous convictions, the last of which was in August 2014.
District Judge Sandeep Kainth told Baynes: “All that chocolate was far too tempting.”
Baynes was fined £100. He was also ordered to pay costs of £85 as well as £20 to the victims’ fund.