Take time to spend time with your loved ones this Christmas
FIONA Welsh on her battle against breast cancer
This week has been a good week. I have managed to combat the tiredness a little and am in control of my emotions again.
I was even able to get into town earlier in the week, on my own, and am very pleased with my effort to get some Christmas presents, but it was an effort. I had to really plan my visit and park close enough to the shops that if it got too much for me I could soon escape back home. I still have to be very careful of crowds due to my lack of immune system and luckily for me, town was not that busy but I was very aware of others coughing, and sneezing in my direction and not covering their mouths! I could have spent my entire time offering out tissues and disinfectant hand gel to people.
I was given a voucher that if I spent �5 or more on hair products I would receive bonus points. I smiled as it was handed to me, as I nearly said if only I had hair to warrant spending �5 on, but didn’t – my sense of humour can sometimes be lost on others.
I am grateful I have managed to get out to buy some gifts this year. But my main gift I want to give is “ME”. Being told you have Grade 3 cancer, risk to life, really puts things into perspective. It’s not how much you spend on someone’s gift or what you get them or how it is wrapped; it’s how you spend your time with that person.
I know I am not out of the woods yet with cancer but do aim for 2013 to be a great year to be with those who really matter in my life.
Regardless of what you are doing this Christmas, take the opportunity to spend time with those who matter to you.
- 1 Cannabis dealer jailed after being caught with drugs in Range Rover
- 2 Suffolk M&S stores to stay open as Colchester shop closes down
- 3 Man who attacked partner after she travelled 10 hours to see him is jailed
- 4 Neighbours raised alarm after man not seen for several days
- 5 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 6 Revealed: The top serious crash hotspots in Ipswich
- 7 Planning application for new Taco Bell in Ipswich expected 'imminently'
- 8 Teenage boys arrested after police seize suspected class A drugs in Ipswich
- 9 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 10 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
Chemotherapy treatment number four looms around the corner, but as always I am ready, after all it is one more step closer to being well again, beating the cancer and enabling me to be my gift to others.