Talking Point: What do you think of the government’s policy for shared parental leave?
WE took to the streets to find out what people thought about the government’s plans to make parental leave more flexible.
Name: Joe Waddle, 51
Comment: “My instinct would be to say no, it’s not a good idea.
“Children need routine and to have another person coming in changes that routine and unsettles them.”
Name: Margaret Sadler, 70
- 1 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 2 Ipswich primary school closed for 'maintenance investigations'
- 3 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 4 Police seek driver who failed to stop at scene of crash
- 5 New Ipswich council houses and microhomes win awards
- 6 10 pictures of Ipswich pub's light switch-on
- 7 Ipswich Travelodge developer celebrates £7.4m bank backing
- 8 Major milestone marked as Ipswich Hospital south entrance reopens
- 9 'Mum had the last Christmas she deserved' - Ipswich hospice helps families
- 10 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
Comment: “When I had my children we never went to work. Now these youngsters want so much they have to go to work to pay for it. I suppose it would be a good idea for parents now.”
Name: Sarah Walsh, 16
Comment: “I think it’s a good idea.
“If you have an equal relationship, it’s quite good to share the responsibility.
“It’s a good idea, why would you not want to do it?”
Name: Brenda Price, 69
Comment: “I suppose it is a good idea, not all mums want to stay at home all the time.
“It’d be a good thing to let the other half know how hard it is.”
Name: David Hender, 64
Comment: “I think it’s good, if they can afford it that is.
“It’s not always up to the lady, the husband should be involved in a bigger way, I think that would be a good thing.”
Name: Darren Allsop, 43
Comment: “My wife is having a baby in February and she’ll get the year off, but I’m self-employed.
I’ll only be able to take two weeks and I won’t get paid for that. I think it’s a good idea, if the business can afford it.”