Teenager's hair catches fire

POLICE are investigating after a teenage girl's hair caught fire at a Suffolk school.

POLICE are investigating after a teenage girl's hair caught fire at a Suffolk school.

Steffi Robson, 14, said two boys sprayed an aerosol deodorant on to her hair as she sat eating her lunch in a corridor at Leiston High School at about 12.30pm on Wednesday.

She said they then set it alight with a cigarette lighter - which students are banned from bringing on to the schools grounds.

The teenager said she was first realised that something had happened when she smelt the terrible stench of burning hair.


You may also want to watch:


Miss Robson's mother Catherine Steele said the incident had left her daughter and her friends traumatised.

“She is very emotional at the moment. As soon as she touches her hair you can see in her face how upset she is at what has happened,” Mrs Steele said.

Most Read

One of the boys believed to be involved has been suspended from school.

A Suffolk police spokeswoman said: “Police have been contacted regarding this incident and will be investigating. Officers have been given the name of a 13-year-old boy who is believed to have been involved in the incident and further enquiries will be carried out to determine exactly what happened and if anyone else was involved.”

Nobody was available for comment at Leiston High School.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus