Teenager tells of attack on dad
A TEENAGE girl today told of her shock after the violent attack which left her father covered "head to toe in blood".Arthritis sufferer Nigel Gilson, 55, was left with a broken hip after the attack only 100 yards from his family home in Willowcroft Road, Ipswich.
A TEENAGE girl today told of her shock after the violent attack which left her father covered "head to toe in blood".
Arthritis sufferer Nigel Gilson, 55, was left with a broken hip after the attack only 100 yards from his family home in Willowcroft Road, Ipswich.
Mr Gilson, a father-of-three, heard an argument from his house. Thinking it involved his daughter Sam, he went outside.
A man and a woman were arguing in the alleyway between Elmcroft Road and Ashcroft Road.
The woman is believed to have run off but the man kicked and punched Mr Gilson, knocking him unconscious.
Mr Gilson is recovering in Ipswich Hospital. He said: "The first thing I felt was my left hip breaking and then I must have blacked out for a while because I woke up on the floor with my face and head covered in blood."
- 1 Emergency road closure in place on busy Ipswich road
- 2 Family's Christmas lights tribute to Jessica, 28, who died after giving birth
- 3 Will 'traditional' new homes at Ipswich Garden Suburb soon be obsolete?
- 4 Snow falls over Suffolk and more sub-zero temperatures to come
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 Suspected drink-driver charged after three-car collision in Ipswich
- 7 Apology for Ipswich pub landlords after 'insensitive LGBT+ comments'
- 8 Drunk woman attacked former partner with knife
- 9 Surprise snowglobe gift leaves Harvey, 4, 'over the moon'
- 10 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
Daughter Sam, 19, visited her father in hospital after the assault. She said: "He was head to toe in blood, he was crying a lot and he was in shock.
"His head was bleeding everywhere and he had a couple of broken teeth.
"My dad is 55 and is not a spring chicken."
Miss Gilson, a supervisor for Top Shop, said: "He thought it was me arguing with the boy because the woman had blonde hair. It was nice of him to go out there but it has gone wrong. I felt guilty at first but now I'm just angry."
Mr Gilson said: "I would do the same thing again. Even though it wasn't my daughter the same principles are involved – it was a young lady who was obviously terrified and scared of this man and was trying to get away.
"The person who did this to me must be caught. I just want to know why he did it – what's made him like this?"
The attacker is described as white, 19-23-years-old, 6ft, of muscular build with short cropped brown/sandy coloured hair.
Detective Inspector John Quinton said: "We are very keen to speak to the woman who was present, it is understood she wasn't involved in the assault, but she may be unaware how serious it was."
She is described as white, 18-20-years-old, slim, less than 5ft 10in with short blonde hair.
Anyone with any information, about the attack which happened, which happened at 2am last Sunday , should contact DC Sandy McBride at Ipswich CID on 01473 383133 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.