Terror suspects held in Ipswich
TWO IPSWICH men are being held in London by anti-terrorist police.Suffolk Police swooped on an address in the Ipswich area on Friday afternoon as part of an investigation into false documents.
TWO IPSWICH men are being held in London by anti-terrorist police.
Suffolk Police swooped on an address in the Ipswich area on Friday afternoon as part of an investigation into false documents.
Two men, aged 38 and 39, were arrested. They were then arrested by the Metropolitan Police Service anti-terrorist officers at about 6pm on Saturday.
Both are being held at a central London police station under the 2000 Terrorism Act.
You may also want to watch:
A warrant for their further detention was granted on Sunday by Bow Street Magistrates Court. Police will be able to question the pair until the warrant expires on Wednesday evening.
Details of the investigation were still sketchy as The Evening Star went to press, but it is understood the arrests were not linked to swoops across the south east which saw nine men arrested.
- 1 Body found in the River Orwell
- 2 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 3 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
- 4 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 5 Plans for new central Ipswich Travelodge now available to view online
- 6 Felixstowe beach hut sells for record price of £65k within hours
- 7 Ipswich music producer's 'amazing' rise as global DJ's assistant
- 8 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED: Witches prove too hot for Lynn
- 9 Breakdown on Orwell Bridge cleared after queues to Copdock roundabout
- 10 Cheers! Ipswich pubs and restaurants welcome first indoor guests of 2021
Spokeswomen from Suffolk Police and the Metropolitan Police refused to reveal any details into the operation.
The Met Police spokeswoman said she could not say what false documents the men were thought to hold, or what their national origins were.
No names were released.
But police have confirmed two houses and a vehicle have been searched in the Ipswich area.