Terror suspects held in Ipswich
TWO IPSWICH men are being held in London by anti-terrorist police.Suffolk Police swooped on an address in the Ipswich area on Friday afternoon as part of an investigation into false documents.
TWO IPSWICH men are being held in London by anti-terrorist police.
Suffolk Police swooped on an address in the Ipswich area on Friday afternoon as part of an investigation into false documents.
Two men, aged 38 and 39, were arrested. They were then arrested by the Metropolitan Police Service anti-terrorist officers at about 6pm on Saturday.
Both are being held at a central London police station under the 2000 Terrorism Act.
A warrant for their further detention was granted on Sunday by Bow Street Magistrates Court. Police will be able to question the pair until the warrant expires on Wednesday evening.
Details of the investigation were still sketchy as The Evening Star went to press, but it is understood the arrests were not linked to swoops across the south east which saw nine men arrested.
- 1 ‘I thought I was going to die’ - Woman feels let down after spiking
- 2 Apology for Ipswich pub landlords after 'insensitive LGBT+ comments'
- 3 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 4 More than 200 homes in Ipswich without electricity after power cut
- 5 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 6 Family's Christmas lights tribute to Jessica, 28, who died after giving birth
- 7 Emergency road closure in place on busy Ipswich road
- 8 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 9 Attempted theft as cyclist's bag unzipped by man
- 10 Will 'traditional' new homes at Ipswich Garden Suburb soon be obsolete?
Spokeswomen from Suffolk Police and the Metropolitan Police refused to reveal any details into the operation.
The Met Police spokeswoman said she could not say what false documents the men were thought to hold, or what their national origins were.
No names were released.
But police have confirmed two houses and a vehicle have been searched in the Ipswich area.