The Great East Run is sold out - six months before the big day
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
The first Great East Run has reached its capacity six months before the starting pistol sounds.
Organisers of the event, a 13.1 mile run in Ipswich on Sunday September 24, have seen a massive demand for entries and have now reached the initial entry target after just three months of registration.
A total of 2,500 people are set to lace up their running shoes and hit the course, which is set to give runners a scenic tour of Suffolk including some of the county’s most stunning sights.
But don’t despair - organisers are hoping to increase the number of entrants by another 500 places in the next few weeks.
The Great Run Company announced the addition of the Great East Run to their UK-wide series in January, working to take on the already successful Ipswich Half Marathon to the next level.
Philippa Morrow, of the Great Run Company, said: “The response to the Great East Run has been overwhelming and we’re excited to have reached our initial target so quickly.
“As there is clearly a demand for a new half-marathon event in the region, the Race Director is looking to increase the capacity by a small number of places for this years’ event.
- 1 Fuel protests: Twelve miles of queues reported on A12
- 2 Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- 3 15 of the best photos from Ipswich Music Day 2022
- 4 Keys secured as 'Goliath' £1.2m needed to restore burned down church
- 5 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk neighbourhoods with highest Covid rates
- 6 Road closed and person trapped in car after crash
- 7 Jailed in June: The Suffolk criminals locked up last month
- 8 Travellers pitch up at park in Ipswich
- 9 Man order to sign sex offenders' registers for possessing indecent images
- 10 Macauley Bonne: Town is not a closed book... I've got unfinished business
“We’re hoping to release an additional 500 places in the next couple of weeks.”
The event, staged in partnership with Suffolk County Council, Ipswich Borough Council and Ipswich JAFFA Running Club, is part of an initiative to push the County Council’s ambition to be the most active county in England.
For more information see here.