Third child dies of suspected meningitis

INVESTIGATIONS are under way today into the deaths of three Suffolk children - including two young friends - from suspected meningitis.

Colin Adwent

INVESTIGATIONS are under way today into the deaths of three Suffolk children - including two young friends - from suspected meningitis.

Two-year-old Kyron Vince, who lived in east Ipswich like the previous two victims, died yesterday morning.

He had fallen ill on New Year's Eve, the same day as a playmate of his - a girl also aged two - died at Ipswich Hospital.

Last night, hospital officials said investigations into the tragic deaths, along with that of an 18-month-old girl on December 14, were under way.

Kyron's uncle John Ehlert said the youngster's parents Vicky Holland and Mark Vince were struggling to cope with their grief over their son's death.

Most Read

He said: “It's traumatic. They just can't see how they are going to get over it.”

Kyron, who had a pre-existing medical condition, appeared to be well when he was put to bed on December 30.

However, he became ill early on New Year's Eve and his condition gave his mother cause for concern.

Paramedics were called to his home in the Greenwich area of the town, which is where his two-year-old friend also lived.

When they arrived Kyron was said have been limp and was not believed to have been breathing

After clearing his airways the ambulance crew took him to Ipswich Hospital. A specialist team was sent from Addenbrooke's Hospital to Ipswich to help stabilise his condition, before he was taken to the Cambridge hospital late on New Year's Eve.

As the night wore on Kyron's parents stayed at the hospital and his condition seemed to be improving.

However, yesterday his condition worsened again and he died at 10.04am.

Kyron's friend, who has not been named, was taken to Ipswich Hospital on Wednesday night after her parents called her doctor.

It is understood the GP referred her to the Riverside Clinic, in Landseer Road, where a doctor saw her and advised her parents to take her to Ipswich Hospital.

The girl was then admitted and taken to the paediatric unit and one source said she had been “running about” on the ward at one stage.

It is understood the girl was released from hospital early on Thursday, but soon after getting home her health began to deteriorate and she was then taken back to hospital. However, doctors were unable to save her.

This week's tragedies come less than three weeks after another suspected meningitis victim, 11-month-old Ellie Parsons, of Felixstowe Road, died on December 14.

Jan Rowsell, a spokeswoman for Ipswich Hospital, expressed sympathy to all the families involved. Ms Rowsell also said investigations would be launched into the three cases and that would include working very closely with Addenbrooke's Hospital in relation to Kyron's death.

She added all the families would be kept informed at every stage.

Mr Ehlert added that Miss Holland and Mr Vince wanted to express their gratitude to all the staff at Addenbrooke's Hospital who tried in vain to save Kyron's life.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter