Top chart place for Ipswich songwriter
POPTASTIC! Huddled round the radio on Sunday afternoon Ricky Hanley let out a scream of joy as the S Club Juniors single he co-wrote came in at a very healthy number two.
By Victoria Knowles
Huddled round the radio on Sunday afternoon Ricky Hanley let out a scream of joy as the S Club Juniors single he co-wrote came in at a very healthy number two.
New Direction is the latest single from mini popsters and Ipswich-based Ricky penned the tune more than a year ago.
You may also want to watch:
"I am feeling very good at the moment," said Ricky from his Ipswich home, today after the news of the single's success.
"I was waited with baited breath for the news and I am just overjoyed that it has done so well. I am based in Ipswich and this news just makes all the many miles of travelling to London worth while," he added.
- 1 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 4 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 7 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 8 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 9 Could Ipswich Debenhams become hub for health and leisure?
- 10 Flooding expected near Ipswich Waterfront
But Ricky is not resting on his laurels and after a family celebration on Sunday night he was back to full pace and looking forward to the future.
"We had a bit of a celebration but things are just flat out for me now. There has been a new signing to Virgin and I will be working with them and things are looking very good at the moment. I am just looking forward to the next hit single," he said.
Ricky, who lives with his wife and three children Ben, 15, Nathan, 12, and Ella, six co-wrote the song with Georgie Dennis, younger sister of Cathy Dennis.
"We initially wrote it for Kylie Minogue. Then Simon Fuller heard it and wanted it. Claire and H also wanted it so we knew it was good."
It was not long before S Club Juniors were in the studio and the song was receiving airplay and became a regular video on the music channels.
Ricky was a session musician before he started writing and has appeared on Top of the Pops many times as a backing singer.
But writing has taken over and he has already produced a track with Liberty X which will be the B-side for their next single. He has also written a song for Will Young.
"Singing is taking a back seat as the writing is taking over. I am definitely on the bottom spiral making my way up, " he added.