Top tribute acts at Nearly Festival in Holywells Park, Ipswich
A two-day festival featuring some of the country’s top tribute bands took place at Holywells Park in Ipswich this weekend.
Around 4,000 people enjoyed tribute acts, ranging from UB40 and Madness to Olly Murs and Bob Marley, and children’s activities funfair rides, face-painting and princess sing-a-longs at the Nearly Festival.
Ipswich-born organiser Danny Banthorpe, 42, promotes the event as an alternative to national festivals, such as Glastonbury and V Festival, which festival-goers and families in the Ipswich area are unable to attend.
The former Kesgrave High School student said: “The festival culture is huge now and we are nipping in that little niche that can’t afford to go to the big festivals or who don’t want to camp.
“We have been running the event for a couple of years now, in the back gardens of pubs and at hotels, but we thought we would try to bring it to a bigger venue and it has been fantastic. Holywells Park has been a beautiful venue.
You may also want to watch:
“We had one in Bury St Edmunds last week and plan to launch one in Norwich next year. We want to keep it in East Anglia.
“Ska’d 4 Life on Saturday night was probably the highlight. The drummer for the Bob Marley tribute act had died the day before, but the band still played in tribute to him. They were brilliant as well.”
- 1 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 4 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 7 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 8 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 9 Could Ipswich Debenhams become hub for health and leisure?
- 10 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich