Tory hits out in row over her home address
The Conservative candidate hoping to replace John Gummer as MP has reacted angrily to suggestions that she has misled voters by saying she lives in the constituency.
SUFFOLK COASTAL: The Conservative candidate hoping to replace John Gummer as MP has reacted angrily to suggestions that she has misled voters by saying she lives in the constituency.
Therese Coffey has told various hustings, and included references in her election addresses, that she lives in Westleton and that “I live in Suffolk”.
She has been taken to task by the Rev David Miller, of High Road West, Felixstowe, who claims she lives in a holiday let and has no permanent home in the constituency.
“The address at which Ms Coffey currently resides is a holiday let and rented on a short-term lease,’’ said Mr Miller, a retired priest from the Metropolitan Community Church in Brighton.
You may also want to watch:
He said in his view Ms Coffey was not a Suffolk resident.
Mr Miller later admitted to the Evening Star that he was vice-chairman of the local Liberal Democrats but said he had contacted the media as “a private individual.” He said Ms Coffey was “staying in Suffolk, not living in Suffolk.”
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 7 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 8 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 9 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 10 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
Ms Coffey said the cottage was no longer a holiday let.
“I was selected in January and it has not been possible to purchase a house during this campaign.
“I needed a base and have never said I come from Suffolk.
“I fully intend to have my main home in Suffolk after the election.
“I regard this as typical Liberal Democrat distortion and mud-slinging.”
Other candidates in Suffolk Coastal are representing the Labour, Green and UK Independence Parties.