Town hall scaffolding on cloud nine
DO you know what it is yet?These are the first glimpses of the dreamy new frontage for Ipswich's Corn Exchange while renovation work takes place.
DO you know what it is yet?
These are the first glimpses of the dreamy new frontage for Ipswich's Corn Exchange while renovation work takes place.
Suffolk artist Les Bicknell has created a cloudscape which will sit above cornfield scenes when scaffolding clads the exterior of the town centre building.
The country scene will shroud the building until spring next year during the £1million refurbishment.
The cornfield setting was chosen to refer to the history of the building, which, as its name suggests, was used for the trading of corn.
The 50metre artwork has been composed of images of Suffolk skies and cornfield captured and then manipulated by Mr Bicknell.
- 1 Man 'punched and slashed' in serious assault in car park at Ipswich B&M
- 2 Ellie uses 4 tonne truck to make impressive entrance at school prom
- 3 Burger van owner's anger after thieves steal food from trailer in Ipswich
- 4 Ipswich firm admits mis-selling foam loft insulation to Suffolk customers
- 5 'Fantastic opportunity' as Ipswich's Thomas Wolsey pub listed for sale
- 6 5 award-winning restaurants in and around Ipswich you need to visit
- 7 Travellers remain at Ipswich park after arrival last week
- 8 Search ongoing for 29-year-old Suffolk man missing for three weeks
- 9 23-year-old Felixstowe woman pleads guilty to assault
- 10 New restaurant could be coming to the Waterfront, but theatre plans dropped
These cloud images have themselves been manipulated to entice the viewer into discovering hidden images within the clouds.
Mr Bicknell said: “People who visit the town centre will be transported to a very rural space.
“It's a celebration of the experience of travelling through rural areas and vast expanses of land.
“It's a reminder of what we are surrounded by, what it means to live in Suffolk for many people.”
The £15,000 'Wrapping of the Corn Exchange' project has been organised by Ipswich Borough Council.
What do you think of the idea to 'wrap' the Corn Exchange with a giant artwork? Write to Your Letters, The Evening Star, Press House, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org