Wrong way A12 driver flees scene after causing crash
- Credit: Kealey Rust
A driver crashed into the central reservation of the A12 after swerving out of the way of a vehicle being driven the wrong way.
The terrifying incident happened on the A12 near East Bergholt on Monday evening, around 8.25pm.
The car – described by police as small and white – was being driven in the wrong direction on the northbound carriageway, forcing drivers to take evasive action to avoid the car.
It is understood the car was being driven by an elderly woman.
One car was clipped by the hurtling white car, while another – a Mazda – was forced to swerve before crashing into the central reservation.
The offending driver then fled the scene, while lane two had to be closed so the Mazda could be recovered.
A spokesman for Suffolk police said no-one was hurt in the accident.
- 1 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 2 Tim Hortons restaurant in Ipswich given green light
- 3 Lorry 'not seen' by crane operator in container crush, port say
- 4 Curve Bar nights out and special events - are you in these photos?
- 5 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 6 Police concerned for missing man from Kesgrave
- 7 Kesgrave shooting trial enters final stages
- 8 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 9 'Hammer seen' in robbery by group of males at Felixstowe Skatepark
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
Those with information about the incident are asked to contact PC Thorpe of the Roads and Armed Policing Team on 101, quoting reference 37/25754/21.